are hd tv's as bad as they look in the showroom?

mrwoowoo 20:00 22 Oct 07

Thinking of upgrading my 28" crt tv to an 32"hd lcd.The problem i have is that when i go into my local showroom be it curry's or whatever the hd tv's are worse than my crt.The pictures all seem to be blurred or patchy no matter how good the specs of the tv's.If an hd dvd is being looped, i must say the image is excellent,but if it is a programme on screen it is really quite awful.
Watching freeview on my old tv is by far a better picture,even bbc etc on analogue is still better so why is this?
Or is it me?

oresome 20:59 22 Oct 07

Or is it me?

No, I am of the same mind.

The TV's are clearly capable of showing a good picture as the HD demonstrations show. But put a normal broadcast picture on a large screen and the result is much worse than on a CRT TV.

skeletal 21:47 22 Oct 07

It’s you, and by the look of it, oresome as well (no offence intended)!! We have owned a number of different tellys over the years, always trying buy the best quality we could afford (so, as best we can, we have always had good quality pictures).

Our current plasma telly has the best picture ever; it is simply amazing, and that is not HD, although it is an HD telly (we’ve not subscribed to HD yet).

However, some things to think about:

Tellys are not set up properly in places like Currys;
Cable telly is rubbish (can’t speak for Sky);
Analogue telly often has ghosting etc. and a larger screen simply makes such defects more noticeable;
The best pictures are from DVD and Freeview, but only on the “main” channels; others use too much compression and this can clearly be seen (which is the reason cable is so poor).

However, different people look for different things, and there may be something you guys find particularly irritating, which I don’t see (there is certainly no "blurring" or "patchiness" on our telly). Personally, I would never want to go back to CRT.

Skeletal

Gamer555 21:54 22 Oct 07

Thats exactly what I think. I was looking at them today and thought to myself, thats worse than my CRT TV. They all look blurry and fuzzy.

I was thinking that they are probably not tuned in correctly in the showrrom?

mrwoowoo 22:06 22 Oct 07

Well at least it's not only me(o:!
So if i use a hd lcd combined with my freeview box, i should notice the difference then?

citadel 22:15 22 Oct 07

maybe it's because each tv in the showroom is sharing the signal. I get a very good picture on my samsung. programmes that have been filmed with a hd camera, such as the tudors look great even though they are not broadcast in hd.

wee eddie 22:28 22 Oct 07

What's the point of buying one from them.

They are meant to display them at their best.

p.s. I agree. Until real HD comes along, your TV will look shoddy on a big screen, even Digital does not have enough pixels per inch to look that good.

mrwoowoo 22:49 22 Oct 07

But what constitutes a big screen? Even at 21" they still looked blurred or fuzzy.
Must be either,
degredation of signal through sharing the same ariel/source.
Hd technology not advanced enough yet.
Not set up right or only on an analogue signal source.
Think i'll pop round a mates to see what all the fuss is about.

skeletal 23:06 22 Oct 07

The reason they are poor in a typical showroom is that they are being viewed in bright fluorescent background and manufactures want a customer to notice their telly above all others, so will either have a “showroom setting” (which may be the default when you buy, hence the requirement to set it up properly in your home), or tell the shop to set colour, contrast and brightness too high (or shops do it anyway!). At these excess levels, there can be a tendency for the image to appear blurry and very unnatural. (This is true of CRTs as well, I remember getting strange looks in a showroom years ago, when I turned the colour OFF on the tellys I was interested in; this enables you to see artefacts peculiar to CRTs much more easily).

It also depends on the quality of the set. As ever, you do get what you pay for, up to a point. An HD ready set, even on “ordinary TV” may have “better” circuitry that shows up as a better picture overall.

The best thing to do is go to an AV showroom where you can view several tellys in a more domestic environment; i.e., no fluorescents, and get them to set all the controls to about half.

Skeletal

skidzy 23:12 22 Oct 07

Interesting thread.

Ive recently bought (6-8weeks ago) a Sony Bravia 40" lcd hd ready tv with built in freeview.

To be frank,im disappointed with it.
I have Sky and the picture quality varies depending on the channel selected.
Football is poor all round as is most fast moving sports.
As said above,i do not subscribe to hd tv so will not get the full benefit of the tv.
However im in the process of getting a hdmi dvd player (Sony) and hopefully receive a better picture than the current dvd player.

I could ramble on and on...but i wont !

Overall,i wish i had research more and bought a plasma !!!

Personally, i dont think the broadcasters are up to speed with the LCD technology,resulting in ghosting and poor picture quality.

Though it would be nice to try out a hd dvd player ?

The lcd tv's you normally see in the shops are rigged up to a hdmi dvd player or even a full hd dvd player and running a film/advert in hd...basically fooling you into thinking this is the picture quality you will receive on tv/sky/freeview....I would urge anyone to see a tv working properly,ie tv channels before buying.
I know,ive learn't from my mistake.

I want to take it back,but the boss (her indoors) says not to bother it aint that bad.........it is to me !!

mrwoowoo 23:24 22 Oct 07

Now it gets really interesting.
To notice the difference between 480p and 720p on a 32" hd tv you need to be within 9ft of the tv.
To get the benefit of 1080p you need to be within 6ft.So unless you have a very large tv you will see no advantage in the higher specs.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…