Are a Geek ?

VideoSentry 15:12 06 Apr 05

having read this click here on the BBC site I would like to say that luckily I am not included in the stats , thanks to the members of this forum and their willingness to share knowlege in 'Non Geek Speak'.

Jak_1 16:05 06 Apr 05

As with all things, compter related things has it's own jargon. This happens in all walks of life; whilst in the Navy myself and a colleague were in a pun near Nrecastle one evening when another custome said to us, 'you two have been talking for nearly an hour and it was like litening to someone talking in a foreign language'.

If you are going to be using a certain type of equipment, in our case computers, then a certain knowledge of terminology is required. It is difficult to give someone advice in a pub if they do not at least understand the basic terms.

No one expects everyone to go delving inside a base unit with both hands or know what a sata cable is or looks like. But, leaning a few basic terms and what they mean come with owning a computer and that's not being a geek! Trust AOL to come up with something like that! R. Soles On Line must be making a fortune out of their helplines!

freaky 18:52 06 Apr 05

Anybody like to expound on the difference between a Geek and a Nerd ?

Kev.Ifty 21:07 06 Apr 05

According to Geeks ain't vegetarian!

Jak_1 21:45 06 Apr 05

Beware of geeks bearing gifts, lol.

Jak_1 21:46 06 Apr 05

And AOL!

josie mayhem 22:20 06 Apr 05

It's all to do with ages and looks.

A geek, knows what they are talking about (even if others don't) and can come in both male and female versions... And tend to be older

A nerd is male only, and tends to be weedy in looks, very skiny (and sometimes spotty) and a puff of air will knock them over, let alone a punch. and is normanly under 21 years of age.. (but it has been know speices to be slightly older)

octal 22:38 06 Apr 05

From the Cambridge Dictionary:

Definition: geek

a person, especially a man, who is boring and not fashionable: He's such a geek.

Definition: nerd

a person, especially a man, who is unattractive and awkward or socially embarrassing: He was a real nerd in high school - I can't believe he's so handsome now.

Kev.Ifty 23:06 06 Apr 05

I reckon Geeks and Nerds are something Americans should worry about.

In our Country (The British Isles ) Geeks and Nerd's are well covered in the guise of Anoraks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…