Are Ebay/Paypal re-difining the English language?

hssutton 08:54 09 Sep 06

Or I should say the meaning of the word "Instant" as in "instant payment" over the many years of buying and selling on Ebay, the word Instant meant precisely that. However I now find that "Instant Payment" can mean anything.

Quote from an Ebay email "this email confirms you have received a pending echeque instant purchase payment, This can take up to four working days to clear.

In this case a payment made olast Monday will not be in the sellers account before next Monday.

As anyone else come across this?

Harry

€dstowe 10:07 09 Sep 06

It's the same type of instant that can remove money from my bank account in zero time for it to emerge in the payee's account no earlier than four working days time even though everything was done electronically.

spuds 13:32 09 Sep 06

Similar 'instant' procedure happened with me recently via eBay/PayPal.

Won item, send payment within the hour via PayPal, received all the confirmation emails. About 4 hours later, seller sent email that they had lost the item, and had stopped payment and informed PayPal to cancel the deal and return the funds. PayPal sent me email that the deal had been cancelled, and I would have the returned funds in my account in 3/5 days time. Took 10 days before my account showed payment had been returned.

But then of course, we are told this is necessary due to modern banking procedures, and as nothing to do with gaining interest banking charges at our expense!.

hssutton 22:47 18 Sep 06

Eventually Ebay processed the payment after 14 days. anumber of excuses where offered, One being that my payment may be fraud but they had already taken the money out of my account and held on to it for 14 days. another excuse was the doubtful address of the seller.
Over 4 years of buying and selling on Ebay with never a problem, until this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…