Aqua

interzone55 22:27 16 Aug 10

When did we start using the word Aqua instead of water.

Many toiletries have used "Aqua (water)" in their ingredients list for a while, but today at Asda I spotted some of their own brand plasters called "Aqua Proof Plasters", which is frankly ridiculous

click here

justme 22:37 16 Aug 10

When listed as an ingredient in toiletries etc 'aqua' is the proper name for water as it is standardised in Europe and many other countries.

However, I agree that 'aqua proof plasters' is ridiculous.

I would suspect that it was a smart young executive in the marketing department who thought it would be trendy to call them that. On the other hand it could be that the smart young executive just didn't know any better.

john bunyan 22:37 16 Aug 10

Back in Roman times, I think. Maybe it is less obvious as an ingredient than Water.

Forum Editor 22:41 16 Aug 10

is used internationally in Pharmacy. It does seem a little odd to use it in a descriptive phrase on a consumer product however.

sunnystaines 23:37 16 Aug 10

i think its spanish for water, may be on spanish imported goods.

Ulysse 23:50 16 Aug 10

The Spanish for water is agua.

Aqua is the latin for water.

wee eddie 00:58 17 Aug 10

for something that is 90% Water, but might accept a product that is 90% Aqua.

ridicle 01:24 17 Aug 10

I thinks its some kind of american slang from america.

Quickbeam 08:24 17 Aug 10

"Aqua is the latin for water.", but spelt as 'acqua', it is modern Italian.

Incidentally we had a major aqua main burst about 3 weeks ago, hmmmm, doesn't quite have the same ring to it though...

Legolas 08:43 17 Aug 10

I have never heard anyone asking for a whisky and aqua please. I think I will try that the next time I in a pup and see what reaction I get ;)

Quickbeam 08:52 17 Aug 10

'pup'? Too much early morning aqua I think...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…