AOL's FREE helpline query

CurlyWhirly 00:41 08 Aug 05

I am just curious as to why AOL no longer offer FREE telephone support when they have been offering it for years?
Can they no longer afford to offer this FREE service?

I have heard rumours that their telephone support still isn't up to much despite being a paid for service so you would expect better support and this could be because their call centres are based in India.
Also there are stories that the call centre staff can't understand us when we ask them anything and vice versa!

Also that quite a few AOL subscribers are planning to change ISP's because the FREE helpline has been stopped but IMHO this is a bit extreme. What do other forum members think?

CurlyWhirly 00:43 08 Aug 05

p.s. I forgot to say that I very rarely have connection problems so I am not asking this question because I am spending a lot of money on the helplines. I am just curious as to why it is being stopped that's all!

Chegs ® 04:48 08 Aug 05

I have always had a low opinion of AOL(several friends who had ignored my advice to avoid them,then asked me to rectify their spam nightmares)Then,I went and joined AOL whilst BT were constantly buggering my phone,and ver 9 of their software wasn't as bad as I anticipated.

As to reasons why they switched to a paid for help service,probably trying to improve their standards.Give them some time,see if their services improve(its allowable initially,but if it doesn't improve then they need their butts kicking)

As for the probs with the language barriers,AOL aren't alone with this problem.

picklsey 05:51 08 Aug 05

simple really they are trying to get you to sign up for there phone service at £7.99 per month,if you sign up for this the help line number is still free to use.i for one won,t be bullied into taking there phone service.

CurlyWhirly 08:53 08 Aug 05

Chegs ®.
Yes perhaps it will improve given time.

picklsey.
Yeah I know what you mean with the AOL talk service as I have asked a general query on live help and the chat agent seemed more interested in trying to sell me their phone service than answer my query!

Snec 19:06 08 Aug 05

click here This guy was an ardent AOL supporter until BT messed up at the exchange and AOL Help tried to cure the problem by changing his password.

CurlyWhirly 22:37 08 Aug 05

Snec - interesting reading. lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…