AOL sponsoring p2p

ened 16:55 01 Oct 05

I was round at a friends house and he was using eDonkey.

I noticed an advertisement on the screen for AOL.

I may be wrong but isn't AOL owned by one of the members of RIAA about whom I keep reading are suing people in America and writing threatening letters to the administrators of p2p networks?

Doesn't this smack of hypocrisy?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:17 01 Oct 05

P2P is not illegal...downloading copyright material is.

G

Mr Mistoffelees 18:57 03 Oct 05

So AOL can be sure that all eDonkey users are adhering to the law?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:07 03 Oct 05

That is obviously not their responsibility. Are kitchen knife makers responsible if a nutter uses one of their knives to kill someone, are car manufacturers responsible if a driver kills a pedestrian?.....one needs to be real here.

G

bremner 19:12 03 Oct 05

It would be interesting to know what percentage of p2p users are using their service for legitimate purposes.

Using Gandalfs analogy - I am sure that if 95% of those who purchased knives used them for illegal purposes knives would soon be outlawed.

DieSse 23:26 03 Oct 05

AOL are basically saying to themselves - we don't care what this programs being used for (and we know very well what it is being used for)- we know it's popular so we'll advertise there.

In the real world it's called lots of things, including unethical and hypocritical.

wolfie3000 05:37 04 Oct 05

Iv never liked that analogy about kitchen knives and cars it just doesnt fit as bremner said it would mean that 95% of p2p users download legally which aint true.
I HATE illegal file sharing but it happens alot.
As for aol advertising on edonkey they arent stupid obviously they know about what thew main use is of edonkey and it is hypocrosy but its advertising so i guess they just turn a blind eye.
Its all about money and making lots of it.

wolfie3000 05:43 04 Oct 05

oh btw this has been bugging me can anyone define the TRUE reason progams like limewire and edonkey where made as if it wasnt for illegal file shareing what was it?

Forum Editor 08:29 04 Oct 05

Precisely.

DieSse 23:06 04 Oct 05

P2P is just a tecnology, and like any technology can be used for good and bad purposes. Skype uses P2P technology, for instance (uses your computer if you have it running, even if you aren't making a call).

P2P is just an efficient method for distributing files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced