Anyone want to see how secure ther PC is?

Thalmus 22:36 30 Sep 05

click here to test how secure your PC is on the internet

Thalmus 22:37 30 Sep 05

sorry should be click here

VoG II 22:51 30 Sep 05

Yes but there is no way that a hacker is going to target a home computer (Mr W Gates' being a possible exception).

Thalmus 22:56 30 Sep 05

Just thought it might be fun for some people to test and learn a bit about security (and to see that their firewall is doing something)

VoG II 23:06 30 Sep 05

Oh, well click here as well then.

Chegs ® 02:39 01 Oct 05

I stopped worrying about my PC's security when I bought an ADSL modem/router with a NAT firewall.I have been perusing various hacking/cracking sites,reading up on various methods used to exploit vunerable PC's and taking relevant steps to secure my systems from these methods.The GRC site is only after creating paranoia to prompt you to buy his firewall(ZA)The man is often ridiculed by MS(and several frequent posters here)

As your extremely unlikely to be hacked,get on with using the PC for whatever you want.

PS:My PC's ports all came up as closed or stealthed.The only info they could glean was my IP address.

CurlyWhirly 10:54 01 Oct 05

Just out of curiosity if all ports are in stealth mode as mine where when I ran the test:

click here

How do legitimate websites and programs gain access to your PC in order to carry out 'normal' everyday functions such as displaying websites or updating anti-virus definitions, etc?

Perhaps when you draw up your list of firewall rules for applications then an 'allowed' program wouldn't see these ports as stealth ports but rather as closed or open?

If you were TRULY in stealth mode then no one would know you were there and as ALL internet sessions are logged by your ISP for a number of years I think that the 'stealth mode' wording can be a bit misleading?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:28 01 Oct 05

click here

click here

click here

are the reasons why I would not believe Gibson if he told me that today was Saturday. /sigh

Mr Mistoffelees 14:14 01 Oct 05

to test your pc's security:- click here

Follow the advice of GANDALF <|:-)> and stay well away from GRC.

CurlyWhirly 22:15 01 Oct 05

That's strange as using my McAfee firewall when I used to run the GRC Leak Test up would come a message saying that my firewall had been compromised but since downloading and installing a firewall security update this no longer happens as my firewall blocks the Leak Test 'trojan' that attempts to connect with it's server.

I ran the Symantec security check and it also passed.

click here

So I assume that I am quite safe?

spuds 22:19 01 Oct 05

Just tried the security checks on the Symantec link given above, and it informs me that the computer as good safeguards present, but I have no anti-virus software. Considering that AVG is installed and as been working for a few years with regular updates, I wonder why it as not been recognized. You cannot really on anything nowadays :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…