Anyone use premium fuels?

Quickbeam 08:32 26 Sep 08

They were discussing this on the radio yesterday click here I think with the rises of diesel in particular this summer, most of us would use refined lard if it worked:)

version8 08:39 26 Sep 08

Got a friend who uses bio-diesel or recycled chip fat as it's known!

interzone55 09:07 26 Sep 08

I used to use Super Unleaded in a previous car because it wasn't designed to use unleaded so the 95 octane standard unleaded wasn't really good enough. The few pence a litre extra for 98 Octane Super Unleaded was worth it to stop the car hopping...

spuds 09:50 26 Sep 08

There as been concerns previously about what types of fuels are suitable for particular models of car engines. And the same conclusions appear to state the same- not much difference. I suppose you could go back to the early BP times, when people assumed and believes that BP meant Banish Pinking.

I have a old and reliable Ford Sierra 'general dogsbody' estate, and when the leaded petrol was getting difficult to obtain, I was informed the 'Pinto' engine would be hard to convert, and I should use a mixture of 95 octane with added top-ups of 'the good stuff', with a 'perhaps' additive mix. A friend who owns a garage made a simple adjustment, and its been running on 95 octane ever since, with no noticeable lack of performance or stabilty.

Regarding the 'chip pan' fuel, I have a neighbour who converted a Land Rover and constructed his own 'refinery', but of late he his finding it more difficult in sourcing regular sustainable supplies from the local fry food outlets (Is everyone at it!).

Chris the Ancient 13:21 26 Sep 08

Conversely...

My car usually has bog-standard unleaded petrol stuffed in all the time. I was once extremely (and I mean extremely) low on petrol and the garage only had 'super unleaded'.

I bit the bullet, put some in and paid the additional price.

And the car didn't run any better, smoother, faster or differently.

Moral...

Don't use higher spec fuel than absolutely necessary.

CtA

canarieslover 13:56 26 Sep 08

Most modern engines are designed to run at their best on standard fuels as that is all that is available in a lot of countries. This gives the manufacturers a lot less problems than providing different specification engines for different markets.

Quickbeam 14:00 26 Sep 08

I've always held the view that as normal driving doesn't involve being flat out all the time (or anywhere near it), a little more throttle gives the extra boost when necessary.

If you're good enough to drive a car around a track at it's maximum, and be consistently within a second or less per lap, then a premium fuel will give a minor improvement.

So, of no practical benefit on a road I reckon...

spuds 15:22 26 Sep 08

I often wonder how some of these modern engines survive on out-in-wilds jerry can stocks, especially in some remoter areas!.

Have I ever put a mixture of petrol and diesel in the same petrol engine, and the answer to that is yes. It took the AA three call-outs before they found the problem, and other people in the same area was experiencing the same problem.

Then there's the recent contamination incident, with some of the supermarket supplies!.

WhiteTruckMan 20:08 26 Sep 08

Its ALL premium fuel...

WTM

peter99co 21:13 26 Sep 08

They where trying to cut out the middle man here!

click here

Arthur Scrimshaw 23:01 26 Sep 08

otherwise the car pinks occasionally under load, can't really detect any other benefits!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…