Before anyone starts feeling softhearted

wee eddie 19:15 19 May 09

Speaker Martin has been a second rate "Speaker" almost from the "Off".

I was going to look up the details but am busy ironing so I shall leave it to others.

However there were complaints about his performance within a few days of his appointment and his "impartiality", essential in a Speaker, have been called into question several times.

Good riddance to him. However, the current problem is not all of his making and in many ways he is being used as a sacrificial lamb, by those who hope that their misdemeanours don't come under the spotlight.

wee eddie 19:23 19 May 09

Among other reasons. Court Cases can take years to run and anyway, any half literate Barrister can tie a Court in knots.

My solution. Make all records available to the Press "asap", also have a look around for any details pre April 2005.

As our Government has proved almost incapable of holding onto any information of value, I'm sure that there a few (unaccounted for) Hard Drives lurking somewhere in the Corridors of Power.Wheel them out and tell us who has been pushing the limit of our generosity.

After all it is an MP's probity that we rely on.

Forum Editor 19:32 19 May 09

You're too busy ironing to look up any details about why he is supposed to have been second-rate almost from the off.

You say "Good riddance to him", but then go on to say that he's being used as a sacrificial lamb.

If you'll forgive me for saying so,it hardly seems like a considered assessment.

Forum Editor 19:33 19 May 09

is that iron giving off some kind of noxious vapour?

laurie53 19:49 19 May 09

Just as a personal opinion, without any supporting detail, I must say I do not think, long before the present hiatus, that he was ever a classic Speaker, in the mould of Wetherby, Thomas or Boothroyd.

Like I say, just a personal opinion.

wee eddie 19:57 19 May 09

I am preparing/packing to go to Bath tomorrow morning, by Train, at Sparrow Fart. Probably a mere 9 hours, courtesy of Richard Branson.

How about this for starters click here

In it there is a reference to an early lack of impartiality. Had the article been written within three of months of his appointment there would have been considerably more weight given to this particular peccadillo of his.

In my defence: I am having difficulty wading through all the present stuff to find earlier articles, and I don't have the necessary knowledge to filter a search by date.

Kaacee 20:06 19 May 09

Well said wee eddie, agree totally with your sentiments.

peter99co 20:46 19 May 09

Whenever I saw him in action it was usually a picture of him holding a paper(s) reading his speech (badly)and the term Speaker did not seem to fit.

bluto1 20:46 19 May 09

It's amazing some of the things we're doing whilst attending to a thread.-))

bluto1 20:46 19 May 09

It's amazing some of the things we're doing whilst attending to a thread.-))

Forum Editor 22:49 19 May 09

Posting in stereo, for instance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…