anyone nr Bridlington, coastal erosion.

sunnystaines 14:25 24 Aug 10

I know cliff erosion in this area is dreadful, but are area's on the fringes of bridlington where there are sandy beaches at risk too?

We are house hunting and seen a few nice places along this coastal area and was wondering if beaches can be under threat too or is it just those on cliffs/hills etc.

might have to change my login name when I move.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 24 Aug 10

"might have to change my login name when I move"

sunnystaines - brilliantbridlington :0)

you might want to look at click here before you move.

sunnystaines 15:07 24 Aug 10

thanks for the link, a lot of the sub links on the site failed I rang them and they are going to get the costal erosion man to call me, basically part of bridling is protected and the remainder not.

lotvic 21:16 24 Aug 10

You can PM me if you want, got relatives near.

sunnystaines 21:23 24 Aug 10

waiting till we get our call tomorrow.

also depends on the punter who is thinking over an offer on our house and one other.

Mr Mistoffelees 22:49 24 Aug 10

""might have to change my login name when I move"

sunnystaines - brilliantbridlington :0)"

I am wondering, now that the weather here has returned to normal, should I change my name to Soggysomerset?

Uboat 23:18 24 Aug 10

sunnystaines i live close to brid! about 20 mins away! the coastal erosion is really bad in areas! if you need any help/advice pls email me!
UB

Forum Editor 23:46 24 Aug 10

sandy beaches help prevent coastal erosion because they slope into the sea, and reduce the effect of wave action. Coastal erosion is a highly complex subject however, and you will be well advised to seek professional help before making any purchase decisions.

When the ice from the last ice age began to melt and retreat, vast quantities of mixed material were dumped into what was a big sea bay in the area, This material was deposited on what's called a glacial outwash plain, and it formed the land that is the Holderness plain on which Bridlington stands. The material is composed of sand, clay, small stones and larger stones all mixed together,and it's this which is being eroded by the sea. Effectively the sea is steadily taking back the bay that was filled in ten thousand years ago.

sunnystaines 07:32 25 Aug 10

Thanks for all the advice.

DANZIG 07:36 25 Aug 10

My other half's folks live in Filey, every time we pop over there it seems like there's another bit of the cliff face slid away.

Quickbeam 08:29 25 Aug 10

"might have to change my login name when I move."
Scunthorpe is safely far enough away from the sea to escape coastal errosion, and locals affectionately call it 'Sunny Scuny', that has a nice ring to it...;)

Incidentally over the years local TV and papers have covered many stories of people whose properties have slipped into the sea 50 years before the expected inevitable slip. There are no guarantees even with professional opinions, nature can go it's own way on a whim. I wouldn't want anything nearer than a mile from that coastline.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant