Anyone a member of IAM?

day2strike 12:42 27 Jun 08

I'm thinking of joining the Institute of Advanced Motorists, Is anyone here a member?
I want to up my standard of driving mainly as I’m sure i have picked up a few bad habits since passing my car test 20 years ago.

Bingalau 15:22 27 Jun 08

Yes I am and although I have not been to a local area meeting for many years I still keep up my membership and also my driving skills. Please join and get rid of your bad habits. It can do nothing but good. Also if possible get your family and friends to join. The organisation does have its knockers but that is just sour grapes.

peter99co 15:54 27 Jun 08

My sister in law has passed years ago and is a better driver as a result.

Bingalau 16:12 27 Jun 08

fourm member. I suspect that the friend who told you that had misunderstood the instructor. Anyway how does "driving according the situation" translate to "exceed the speed limit if the situation justifies it?"

Clapton is God 16:18 27 Jun 08

Been a member since the early 1980s.

I still take pride in using the driving skills I learnt back then.

However, it's a damn shame about all the unskilled, unsafe, selfish motorists on our roads who IMHO vastly outnumber the rest of us.

Cymro. 16:19 27 Jun 08

It is some 40 years since I past my test and have always known about IAM but never thought to become a member, mind you with my standard of driving they would probably not want me as a member anyway.

Now I sit back and wait for all those good and careful drivers who have never had an accident and have had clean driving licences for since the days of the Model T to send in their posts.

Cymro. 16:22 27 Jun 08

So why is it that it is very rarely that you will hear a motorist admit to being a bad driver? There must be at least a few bad drivers out there or am I the only one?.

Clapton is God 16:26 27 Jun 08

"they would probably not want me as a member anyway"

Not necessarily - if you take the lessons, reach their standard and pass their test, they'll have anybody. ;-))

Bingalau 16:30 27 Jun 08

Cymro. If you are still driving after 40 years as you say, There is no harm seeing if the IAM will maybe give you a trial lesson in your own vehicle and assess your driving standard. I think they still do an introductory sort of lesson. One way to find out is to ring up your local branch. As for you being the only bad driver out there, well none of us are perfect but some of us try to improve, that in itself makes it safer for ourselves as well as other drivers.

Cymro. 16:30 27 Jun 08

"they would probably not want me as a member anyway"
Not necessarily - if you take the lessons, reach their standard and pass their test, they'll have anybody. ;-))

If they are anything like fourm member says above then I think I had better not bother.

mike40 16:40 27 Jun 08

Hi

I have just retired as an examiner with the IAM for which I have been conducting tests in and around the York area since 1982. The one question I asked all the candidates. was "Do you consider yourself to be a better driver following this instruction?" Every one one of them said they had and felt much more confident about their driving. So I would suggest that anybody who feels like inproving their driving skills is "Go for it you might be surprised"
Bingalau. If you are fully aware of what is going on around you whilst driving it is totally unecessary to signal if no one will benefit from it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…