Anyone know anything about horses?

Noels 16:11 26 Mar 08

Its a long story but about 50 yrs ago I worked on a farm in Hampshire where we had two horses for ploughing. I had the task as a very young farmworker to take the ploughman to see one of the horses put down because it suffered from "Night Falls" whatever they were!I was telling a friend about this the other day but couldn't remember what "Night Falls" are or what causes them.
Does anyone know?
Regards
Noels

belfman 16:28 26 Mar 08

I don't know much but I know horses can suffer night blindness. Perhaps that's where the term comes from ie. the horse falling over and bumping into things.

Noels 16:33 26 Mar 08

I've suffered with night blindness and nightfalls my-self but usually after a good night out?
Noels

Noels 16:38 26 Mar 08

Have just reread your post. I think you are probably on track. From what I remember and it is along time ago these horses could still work in the day but I assume kept falling down at night.
I remember the ploughman Jack Pearce was very upset at the time and this made a lasting impression on me.
Regards
Noels

belfman 16:54 26 Mar 08

I also think that some of it is now treatable so what happened back then might not be the case now.

Noels 17:01 26 Mar 08

I looked on Google and could find nothing so it will be some old horseman who can remember.
Anyway many thanks for your input.
Regards
Noels

wee eddie 17:01 26 Mar 08

too much credence!

Where-as, if a horse sits down, with it's legs underneath it, it can usually get up of it's own accord.

If a horse falls on it's side, with it's legs out to one side, it will probably need to be winched upright.

Were a working horse to become prone to this I can see problems of economics.

I also have memories that a horse on it's side has difficulty breathing.

Forum Editor 18:08 26 Mar 08

thatr the reference was to a horse being what is called 'Cast' in its box. This where a horse lies too close to the side of the box, and is unable to get up again. Most people who keep horses know that you prevent it by banking bedding (straw or woodchips) up at the sides of the box, so the horse will tend to lie away from the edge.

Otherwise I can't think what it was, unless the horse fell asleep on its feet, and fell over.

carver 08:17 27 Mar 08

The term you are using is no longer used it's now called "Moon Blindness", it's when the eye clouds over. If the horse only has one eye with this condition it can still work, jump, go on hacks, in fact it can still perform as normally.

The problem is if it effects both eyes then the horse is completely blind. Treatment is not always successful and the treatment can have side effects because it involves the use of steroids.

Hope this has helped.

Bingalau 08:25 27 Mar 08

Noels. Seems a good name for the owner of a horse. It reminded me of the poem "Jan Pearce, Jan Pearce, lend me your grey mare" etc. Ohh Ahrr.

My daughter works at a stables and I have got her asking all and sundry, if they have heard of this illness and so far no one has.

spuds 09:27 27 Mar 08

Tried to post late yesterday, but my system went down (again). I asked a couple of 'horsey' friends, and they didn't really know, other than suggest click here

Apparently in the older days when certain cures and medications were not available, and horses were in abundance. The condition could be so severe to some horses, that it was better to dispose of the animal. In severe cases, the horse could become unpredictable, and a danger to itself and anything within striking distance.

In our conversation, we discussed the old remedies used by blacksmiths/farriers and 'breakers-in'. To calm a rather skittish horse, a piece of twist tobacco did the trick!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac