Anyone else getting these emails?

Yimbo 23:24 06 May 14
Answered

I'm getting quite a few emails from e.g "Chief of Texas Department of Revenue - - You has (sic) penalties for bank credit $567.21 Details in attached ZIP file ...!" Almost identical, from "Superior of Alabama Dept of Revenue" This time "penalties for sales tax $417.98". Yet another is a "Court summons - Illinois"

I take it that they are all scams! I've never opened any of them - but wonder why I keep getting them sent to me - especially when the address used is never accurate and only an approximation of my correct email address.

Quickbeam 08:29 07 May 14

Oh, I'd just give them all the information they request, I do like a free lunch.

Yimbo 10:14 07 May 14
Answer

A share in an inheritance - - free lunches - - is there no end to all their largesse? Here's me thinking they were all a scam!

Secret-Squirrel 10:54 07 May 14

"............ but wonder why I keep getting them sent to me - especially when the address used is never accurate and only an approximation of my correct email address."

That's a common occurrence with spam emails. The recipient addresses you can see are in the TO or CC fields of the email. Yours, and probably hundreds more, are in the BCC field which makes them invisible and it looks like you've received mail addressed to someone else.

By the way, the ZIP attachment contains malware - but I'm sure you knew that anyway.

fourm member 11:16 07 May 14

A new one (to me, that is, I know these things go round and round) is the alleged greetings card in the zip file.

And, just recently, I had 'here's the information you wanted' about a domain name I use but on a different top level. Of course, the information is in a zip file.

mbc 13:59 07 May 14

I have had 3 similar e-mails this morning, obvious to me as scams, but perhaps not to new internet users. This may be a daft idea, or not even feasible, but do you think that if ISPs made a small charge for each e-mail it may deter scammers who probably churn out millions of these each day. Legitimate businesses could set the costs against tax, and if the ISPs were to reduce their monthly rental charge to compensate for increased income from e-mails, the private individual may not be out of pocket overall. If it is a daft idea, please do not mock me as it may be just a 'senior moment'.

wiz-king 15:43 07 May 14

ISPs do charge you for emails it is all part of your monthly charge.

Yimbo 16:49 07 May 14

Just got another (new) one! "Your electric usage bill - $578.24 For details see attachment" Ha! Ha!

bumpkin 17:11 07 May 14

mbc, I don't know how it would work but not a daft idea at all. I would be happy to pay for emails if it cut down on some of the spam. Call charges however do not seem to deter the wretched phone pests.

wiz-king 18:10 07 May 14

bumpkin Would you be happy to pay for receiving spam e-mails? Your ISP charges you to send emails but you wish it could charge you to receive emails? I don't think so. Bulk emails are cheap to send - less that £5/1000

bumpkin 19:17 07 May 14

wiz-king, "Would you be happy to pay for receiving spam e-mails?"

Of course not anymore than I would be happy to pay for incoming phone calls, where have I said that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…