Anyone else fallen out with Google lately...

mooly 18:23 PM 22 Jul 11

The latest Google Doodle seems to be yet another CPU draining animation. Yes it's clever... and I believe it showcases HTML5 but 40 to 60% CPU useage (AMD Turion64) just to have the Google home page as an open tab.

Do a Google search for "Google doodles high cpu" and you'll get the picture.

I defected to Bing a couple of weeks ago and tbh find I am preferring it. Seriously considering binning Google altogether.

Forum Editor 18:30 PM 22 Jul 11

"Seriously considering binning Google altogether."

'Cutting off your nose to spite your face' seems to be an appropriate response to that.

I have the Google homepage open now, and total CPU usage is running at 8%

mooly 18:37 PM 22 Jul 11

Just tried again with only one tab open at once...

Bing 1 to 4% useage.

Google 50% usage. Sometimes as high as 75% sometimes as low as 45%.

On a laptop (like mine) that would make a huge difference to battery life. The fan is on most of the time at that. With Bing it doesn't come on at all.

interzone55 19:31 PM 22 Jul 11

Let me guess, you're using an elderly version of Internet Explorer

If you use a new version of IE or Chrome then there's built in code to help render these animations.

My 5 year old dual-core Toshiba laptop was only showing 6% usage on the Google homepage whilst manipulating the animation

mooly 19:46 PM 22 Jul 11

I'm using IE9 and Vista. All patched and fully up to date. The laptop is 4.5 yrs old Acer Aspire with AMD Turion 64 and 2GB RAM.

I don't even have to set the animation off, just open the homepage.

wiz-king 20:01 PM 22 Jul 11

It's an animation? Not here it's not, just a small 3.5kb png file.

AroundAgain 20:12 PM 22 Jul 11

On my screen, the larger of the blue 'leaves', ie on the left, very slowly move round a bit, then back. Or is it my imagination ???

I don't know how to find the size of the image.

Running Win XP and Firefox

interzone55 20:25 PM 22 Jul 11

Try Chrome, it runs like a dream

canarieslover 21:13 PM 22 Jul 11

Using Chrome the Google home page with the 'mobile' that has been created takes about 4% of processor.

mooly 07:08 AM 23 Jul 11

Thanks folks... of course its gone this morning so 'till the next time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off