anyone been kicked by a .44 or larger

lofty29 14:52 16 Jun 09

Just having a brown moment and remembering back to my army cadet days, the largest thing I fired was a lee-enfield .303 and after a day on the ranges my shoulder really ached, then thinking that in the "old west" the pistols and rifles were .44/40 caliber they must have really given a belt, any of you guys any experience, brown bess muskets would also do for the more senior members.

peter99co 14:55 16 Jun 09

Would a shoulder launched missile count?

Brumas 14:59 16 Jun 09

I suspect Bingalau still has callouses on his fingers from the bow and arrow they issued him when he joined up ;o)

wiz-king 15:03 16 Jun 09

In the days of the 'Wild West' the propellant was usually a black powder. Modern propellants have a bit more kick, but I must say I am amused when a thin bit of metal like an oil drum stops a .44 magnum in some of the films.

interzone55 15:11 16 Jun 09

Watch this US army video - some bullets pass through a wall, filing cabinet and another wall

click here

user8 15:34 16 Jun 09

Bren, Sterling & SLR.

Bingalau 15:51 16 Jun 09

The callouses on my fingers are pointed slightly towards you Brumas in a sort of inverted "V" sign.

If a "PIAT" counts then yes, I used to teach people how to use it. We still had them when I joined up in 1947. (I have put the full year in there because otherwise Brumas would have assumed it was 1847). I think we changed over to a more modern anti-tank weapon in the early 1950's.

Clapton is God 16:25 16 Jun 09

Like user8 - Bren, Sterling & SLR.

I've also got one or two callouses from hoiking a certain RN field gun around Whale Island

john bunyan 17:21 16 Jun 09

Yes, the PIAT (Platoon, Infantry, Anti Tank) was replaced by the 3.5 in Rocket Launcher ( used it, expensively, against urban snipers a few times) No kick as it was rocket propelled. Then a smaller, LAW (Light Antitank Weapon) came in. I was in during the transition from sten to sterling, .303in Mk 4 Rifle to .765mm SLR , .38 Webley revolver to .9 mm Browning automatic, though in the bit that Bingalu and I were in we used all kinds of weapons from a single shot silenced Welrod .22 pistol to US M16's , and Russian AK47's among many others! The .44 magnum revolver with special armour piercing rounds was great for stopping a car!

john bunyan 17:23 16 Jun 09

Forgot the change from .303 Bren to .765mm GPMG! Lamp swinging over?

Bingalau 17:58 16 Jun 09

john bunyan. Ah! yes memories are all I have to cling to.. I even remember the music from the fifties too. But I always remembered the PIAT as Projectile, Infantry, Anti-Tank... Whatever, you had to get pretty damn close to a tank. I also remember one of our lads "Wyatt" Earp taking out a sniper (who had been a nuisance to us) in an upper window in Palestine. He got close enough by keeping in the lee of a scout car until he was opposite the window, lined up roughly where he knew the window was. Then the scout car moved away and he lobbed a round from the PIAT through the window. He got the Military Cross for that. Who said the lamp swinging was over... I suppose the FE will step in when he thinks fit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now