Any serious mountain bikers here?

Quickbeam 11:26 31 Mar 12

I nearly convinced my nephew that he's better off buying a quality lightweight competition bike second hand than a cheaper new but heavier bike.

Anyone know what the serious people think of the 'Cube AMS 100 comp'? New it's way out of his budget, but I've seen one not too far away that looks the biz for the right price, £500ish

Diemmess 12:01 31 Mar 12

Hearsay.........., comments from a grandson who is now a graduate engineer and due to spend his summer holiday charging down the hopefully snow free courses at Whistler B.C. He has done this three times already and D.G. survived with only scraped skin damage.

He told his mother on his first trip that he was spending more on bike spares and repairs than on food and day-day expenses.

He has spent a lot of money on what can be very expensive bikes some hydraulic forks around £1400 last year, though insurance helped.

So Fit-for-Purpose is your goal. If the use will be confined to special tracks in this country, or to charging willy nilly down a hairy Rockies slope will need thought, but carefully chosen second hand could save a pot of money, just so long as the purchase doesn't turn out to be about to collapse from metal fatigue or well hidden repairs

Quickbeam 12:18 31 Mar 12

We're not frightened by a bit of maintenance, the serious bikers seem to change every year to stay competitive. I couldn't believe how much you can pay £5000+!

Forum Editor 17:33 31 Mar 12

"I couldn't believe how much you can pay £5000+!"

And then some

john bunyan 18:38 31 Mar 12

FE

Is that the company bike you use to commute?

Bingalau 19:19 31 Mar 12

john bunyan. The Barracks Bike never cost that much.

Aitchbee 20:02 31 Mar 12

I shudder to think the cost of maintenance and repairs:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEX0KfKi2XE

...have a laugh.

Quickbeam 08:28 01 Apr 12
  Diemmess 11:52 01 Apr 12

Whistler, on his first trip there

Fun

Quickbeam 12:30 01 Apr 12

It does look fun, but I'm 30 years to old to buy a bike without it ending up on ebay before the summer's out!

Condom 23:48 01 Apr 12

I was told you are never too old to ride a bike so I went into the garage and pulled out my old but seldom used "Mountain Type" bike which has never seen so much as a hill before and told myself a couple of miles will do me good.

Bad plan. The tyres had apparently almost rotted from misuse and a trip to the local bike shop cost me as much for a set of tyres as I paid for the bike new. As a young tennis player said once upon a time "you can't be serious" when I looked at some of the prices of new bikes. I just hope the next time I pull it out the tyres will still have air in them :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…