Any serious cyclists here?

Quickbeam 08:31 AM 30 Jul 12

During the cycle road races the commentators were complaining of the lack of split times not available. This was put down to a massive use of resources by tweeters. Why is this so?

The Tour de France didn't have these problems, is that because tweeters are much more active in the UK?

Too much t'weet t'woo...

QuizMan 08:40 AM 30 Jul 12

The main reason is that the riders in the TdF all have ear pieces through which they communicate with their race director. They are not allowed in the Olympics. In the latter teams were using GPS to obtain the information whereas the TdF used local comms channels which are unaffected by use of mobiles.

Quickbeam 08:45 AM 30 Jul 12

Thanks for that QuizMan.

Does that mean that the IOC is not using the right technology, or is it only a problem that wasn't foreseen when theirs is used in the UK?

canarieslover 09:50 AM 30 Jul 12

I don't think it is using the wrong technology, they just didn't reckon on the amount of spectators and the huge percentage that must have been tweeting. As they are going to ban the use of radios for riders in all events I should think that maybe they should look for an alternative technology for the future. The crowds at the Olympic road race were probably the greatest seen for any event and virtually the whole course was packed to a density that is usually reserved for the mountain tops on the major tours. Tweeting is something that has really only relatively recently reached the proportions that caused this communications breakdown as it certainly didn't affect Beijing in this manner. Chris Boardman was at least trying to do some visual timing but even that is difficult if the cameras don't show the same location for the breakaway riders and then for the peleton. He was faced with the same problem as the viewing public, he could only go by the pictures on the monitors.

Quickbeam 10:23 AM 30 Jul 12

Thanks canarieslover, I understand now.

interzone55 15:55 PM 30 Jul 12

O2 have owned up to having insufficient network capacity in the Box Hill area to cope with the twitterers in the crowd and the GPS equipment on the bikes

The Register link

Quickbeam 16:09 PM 30 Jul 12

'The Twitterati' That's got to be the best new word I've ever heard:)

Bing.alau 16:22 PM 30 Jul 12

Quickbeam. Where did you hear it?

Quickbeam 16:29 PM 30 Jul 12

It's in alan14's The Register link above, near the end.

I can't wait to use it in the pub!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…