Any Reason to Install Ubuntu or similar?

rawprawn 17:22 30 Apr 08

As you are all well aware I am an inveterate Tinkerer, I have Vista Home Premium running very smoothly. Yet, I am drawn to trying a Linux OS just to see what it is like (First mistake) I wondered if anyone out there could offer suggestions, or advice on my inexplicable and probably useless yen to try it out.
rawprawn

Si_L 17:28 30 Apr 08

I think there is a version out now that will let you install Linux inside Windows, so there is no need to install it properly. Its run just like an application. The idea behind it is to encourage people to try it out without having to properly install it.
I'm gonna give that a go when I come home.

rawprawn 17:30 30 Apr 08

Can you give me a link?

Si_L 17:34 30 Apr 08

I've just been searching for one, can't find one as yet but I will post when I do.

Quiller. 17:34 30 Apr 08

I tried worked as a live cd. i.e. it boots off the disk and you run the programs without comiting it to the hard drive. It then gives you the option to do a full install on the hard drive.

It was fairly good and detected most of my peripherals. it connected to the internet first time via a lan cable but had difficulty with my wifi chips.

if I could have sorted out the wifi driver issue i may have stuck at it more.

Si_L 17:35 30 Apr 08
  rawprawn 18:10 30 Apr 08

Thank you, I will have a look at that.

Forum Editor 18:24 30 Apr 08

to hear how you're getting on from time to time - perhaps you'll update us as and when you feel it's worth doing?

rawprawn 19:40 30 Apr 08

I will if I go ahead, I was hoping that I might get a few more pointers before committing myself, and then only after a full backup.

octal 20:02 30 Apr 08

One of the ways of trying it is to install it on a second computer, the hardware requirements are quite low for Linux so it can be an old computer. I only use Linux these days, so I won't comment further because I'm biased, I'll just let you try it and see how you get on.

by the way, Linux isn't Windows, so expect a learning curve. Good luck.

rawprawn 20:46 30 Apr 08

Unfortunately I don't have a second computer,I have downloaded VMPlayer as instructed, but as I read further it points to various XP editions but not Vista which I am running.
Also the links to Ubuntu & Fedora are not working.
I am beginning to feel that I shouldn't go there! and leave well alone unless someone can show me a better way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…