Any Bass fisherman here !!

skidzy 08:16 24 May 08

Ok you bass experts,help me out a bit.

I used to be a keen fisherman 20 years ago but gave it all up due to a fading football career and work commitments.

Ive just got back into fishing as a hobby at weekends,now im about to try spinning for Bass on light tackle from the shore.

Ive seen various methods that seem very successfull for some via Google,what i would like to know is from some of you here,and your own experiences.

As the tackle has moved on in a big way from my day fishing,its time to catch up a bit.

Im fishing locally (suffolk) and reguarly catching twenty or more Bass (schoolies) from baitcasting but nothing of size.
I do not plan to take the Bass home but return them to the water unless of course i can pick one up of around 6lb or more.
As any Bass fisherman know,these take an age to get to a decent size.

Any tips would be gladly appreciated on spinning for the Bass.
Thankyou
Skidzy

crosstrainer 08:26 24 May 08

I'm a keen sea fisherman, (not this summer due to illness) But we here (Wales) have seen a marked decline in Bass over the last 10 years.

Last summer I was lucky enough to catch a 11 pounder (Mid channel on our regular boat)

I gave up beach casting and visiting Porthcawl some years ago, as all you get is Doggies.

Boat fishing is the way to go IMO.

skidzy 08:38 24 May 08

Cheers for the reply.

Me and boats just do not go together...unless its a millpond like sea.

I dont want to get back into the serious mode of fishing,just as a small pastime.

Lots of bass up our local river...(Orwell) but not many decent sized fish.

11 lb pounder,bet you were really chuffed with that.That must be at least 30 years old !! ,good on you.

Lets hope your illness does not hinder you to much and heres hopeing for a speedy recovery.

crosstrainer 08:43 24 May 08

It was a cracking day, also had large smooth-hound, a 30 pound conger, 2 thornback ray's and quite a few bull huss.

The bass was delicious (the conger took a mate and I and hour and a half to steak up) I was eating fish for quite a while!

Forum Editor 08:56 24 May 08

spinning for Bass in the rock gullies around the reef at St Queens bay in Jersey. Sand eels were successful, too.

skidzy 09:05 24 May 08

Crosstrainer thats a day most fisherman dream about.

Any tips Forum Editor on spinning please ?

Bingalau 10:27 24 May 08

You've got to see this:
This Sturgeon is still alive, just worn out
from the fight. They turned him loose after the photo.
This Sturgeon was caught on the Swan just near
Fremantle City two weeks ago. It weighed out at over 1,000 lbs and measured out at 11'1'. It was 56" around the girth and took over 6
and a half hours, & 4 dozen beers, for the 4 guys taking turns at the reeling it in. Tony Harben did a fantastic job of reeling it in which took just over four hours.
Any Sturgeon OVER about five feet has to be released unharmed and cannot be removed from the water. They are brood breeding stock and probably
older than most of us. This one maybe 100 years old. What Lurks in the Swan River!.... I think that this is one that snapped my line last week!!

Sorry Picture link to follow..... This was in an e-mail I have just opened.

Bingalau 10:30 24 May 08

Sorry about that I tried to copy both the e-mail and the photo together. Not a Bass but then again I am no fisherman and don't know the difference between a Cod and a Mackerel.

click here

Bingalau 10:34 24 May 08

Which reminds me of that old stanza...

I'm in love with a virgin sturgeon,
The virgin sturgeon's a very fine fish,
The virgin sturgeon needs no urgin'
That's why caviar is my dish.

Forum Editor 11:03 24 May 08

Every fisherman has them, and I'm no expert, but......

When I go spinning I try to take as little as possible by way of tackle - what seems a light load when you set out can get heavier by the minute when climbing around on rocks.

The best bass I've had always seemed to be towards the end of the day - twighlight even - when the bigger fish seem to move in to feed. I use a minnow spinner, or a rubber sand eel (a bright yellow one with some pink on it). Obviously, what you're aiming to do is make your lure look like a fish in trouble, so vary your retrieval rate, and practice twitching the rod from time to time.

I'm sure you'll have no problems - you'll catch bigger Bass if you persevere. This time of year is perfect for them, in fact I wish I was in Jersey or Cornwall right now.

Pine Man 11:16 24 May 08

'The best bass I've had always seemed to be towards the end of the day'

Me to - usually a pint or two of it in the local pub!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced