Any advice regarding a holiday to China?

John B 08:46 07 Jul 06

More specifically; Beijing.

I'd like to take my wife on holiday there. I've not been there and wondered if anyone had any thoughts (for or against).

Thanks

John

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:23 07 Jul 06

Probably a good idea to refrain from discussions about how marvellous it is that Taiwan is independent and proclaiming that it would be a jolly good idea to plonk the Dalai Lama back in charge of Tibet. Bulling up on Adams and Keyne's economic theories will put you in good stead though and should lead to deification.

I have always found The Lonely Planet (specifically the forums) to be a good source of info from a wide variety of people...and it is usually up to date....click here The reporters tend to 'tell it like it is' so you need a little pinch of salt sometimes. Trip Advisor has some gems although it tends to get contributions from the 'Col(ret'd) Grenville Whittingham-Bashhley-Fffoulkes of that ilk from Surbiton' types.....click here

G

John B 09:36 07 Jul 06

I'll look at the links later.

Sethhaniel 10:34 07 Jul 06

BEIJING Jul 3, 2006 (AP)— China has launched a campaign to enforce curfews at Internet cafes before schools let students out on summer vacation, a news report said Monday.

The focus of the weeklong crackdown, launched Saturday, "is to prevent the entry of kids under the age of 18," said a Culture Ministry official quoted by the China Daily newspaper.

It said violators could face penalties ranging from being shut down for 15 days to losing their license to operate.

Internet cafes are required to limit the hours that underage customers can spend online and only allow in a few minors at a time.

China has the world's second-biggest population of Internet users after the United States, with 110 million people online, but tries to regulate what Web surfers can see online.

Rules on children in Internet cafes were imposed after Chinese officials warned that students were spending too much time playing online games and were getting access to violent and obscene material.

John B 10:40 07 Jul 06

I'm not so bothered about emailing home as deciding whether to go there.

rmcqua 10:42 07 Jul 06

China (these days) is a wonderful place to visit. I don't know how long you plan to stay in Beijing, but if you are there long enough, take a day or two side trips to Shanghai and Xian. Whether or not you manage to do this, you will have a wealth of historical sites, museums, etc. to keep you occupied. The food (hope you like Chinese food !) is fantastic. Hotels are now up to world standard. Everything is pretty cheap (but the nearer you get towards the Shenzhen/Hong Kong area, the more expensive it gets). You should not find the political climate too oppressive, but take Gandalf's advice and don't pass opinions about Taiwan or Tibet.
I don't know if you are accustomed to long haul travel, but don't plan to do too much for the first couple of days after you arrive. The + 8 hour jet lag can be quite horrible.
I am very envious. I used to spend lots of time working in China. I never had the opportunity to take my family there for a holiday and I would love to be able to do so now.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:46 07 Jul 06
  John B 11:55 07 Jul 06

Thank you, I will have a good look at it tonight.

John B 12:12 07 Jul 06

Thinking about staying ten to fourteen days. Do you have any examples of prices (e.g. meals, hotels etc?).

I also wondered about general safety for tourists / foreigners (using common sense of course).

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:26 07 Jul 06

click here the Chinese tend to deal with misdemeanours in the good old fashioned ways so you should be safer than here ;-))

G

John B 12:34 07 Jul 06

I see what you mean Gandalf!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…