Antony Worrall Thompson caution

Armchair 16:26 09 Jan 12
Answered
  dagbladet 16:40 09 Jan 12

Is that greed? I'm not so sure. According to the article he was questioned on 5 different occasions over the 2 week xmas and new year period after being observed on CCTV. If I got caught just once not scanning at the self-service, I doubt i'd keep doing it every other day or so in the same store, when I'm a known 'face'. Perhaps he wanted to get caught?

Armchair 16:47 09 Jan 12

You think that it might be a case of any publicity is good publicity?

interzone55 16:56 09 Jan 12

He's seeking help - I think he's got a problem

I know his businesses have not been doing well lately, so maybe he's suffering from depression, which can do some strange things to your head, so instead of laughing show some compassion.

Armchair 16:58 09 Jan 12

No. Rats to him.

dagbladet 17:02 09 Jan 12

Not necessarily publicity as in 'celebrity'. I really don't know, but I don't see it as greed. A famous face, been caught once, twice, three, four, five times, same shop, apparently same ruse, over a short period of time. He's not retarded, he must know that every time he walked in the shop, the security lot would have clocked him on the screens, "aye up, here's that chef fella off the telly that keeps making mistakes at the self-service, keep an eye".

Al94 17:19 09 Jan 12

They're selling his stock cubes at a bargain price, just remember to scan them! http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253211144

Aitchbee 17:48 09 Jan 12

AWT's reputation and TV/radio career are now, almost certainly over.

All of the products with his name on them, will be flying off the shelves,like hot cakes.

His 'moments of madness' will be a severe body blow, but with the help of his family and friends, he might come out of this a poorer, but, wiser man.

interzone55 19:06 09 Jan 12

Armchair

I'm sure others on the forum have suffered depression, so perhaps they can enlighten you...

Forum Editor 19:10 09 Jan 12
Answer

"What a fool. Sheer greed. Never liked the guy on tv."

OK, so you don't like him.

A fool? I'm sure he knows it, in fact he does, because he said it today.

Sheer greed? Of course you have no way of knowing that, and I very much doubt that it was what motivated him. The vast majority of shop-lifters could easily afford to pay for the things they take - they aren't stealing because they have no money. They steal for other reasons, it's a highly complex subject.

I am not suggesting that you feel sorry for Antony Worrall Thompson, but you might want to consider your knee-jerk response for a moment. One day you may well find yourself in the same situation - anyone who says 'Me, shop-lift? Never' is a fool. It can (and does) happen to perfectly ordinary people every day, and we don't know about it. Sometimes it happens to rich and famous people, and we do know about it.

Do a Google search for Lady Isobel Barnett. She was a doctor, a Justice of the Peace for twenty years, and for a decade she was one of the most famous faces on television. Her TV career waned, and In 1980, she was found guilty of shoplifting, being fined £75 for stealing a can of tuna and a carton of cream worth 87p from her village grocer. This brought her briefly back into the public eye, and just four days later, she was found dead in the bath at her home in Cossington, Leicestershire. The coroner returned a verdict of suicide.

Forum Editor 19:13 09 Jan 12

"You think that it might be a case of any publicity is good publicity?"

What a ridiculous thing to say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now