Another Points Failure

oresome 20:51 26 Feb 07

Missing or loose stretcher bars and retaining bolts seem to be the probable cause of the latest derailment.

Not unlike a previous accident.

I can't imagine how these defects could be missed on an inspection, particularly following the earlier incident, so what's going on?

octal 21:01 26 Feb 07

Apparently the points were checked just a few weeks ago, whoever signed the inspection sheet has got some explaining to do.

VCR97 21:23 26 Feb 07

According to what I heard the Network Rail chairman say on BBC radio this morning, an inspection which should have been done on 18th Feb. wasn't done.

laurie53 21:38 26 Feb 07

And once again, I predict, only those at the lowest level will be blamed.

Laurie

laurie53 21:39 26 Feb 07

And the top execs will get fat bonuses

Laurie

Ho-Lin-Sok 21:48 26 Feb 07

It's like an MOT though, the signature only verifies that an inspection was passed at such and such a date, after that its meaningless also I suspect the Unions will not let their "Members" take any blame.

Al94 22:18 26 Feb 07

Did they ever hear of lock nuts or split pins?

Forum Editor 23:00 26 Feb 07

Of the three stretcher bars two were fractured, one was not in position, and there were missing bolts. One of the stretcher bars was possibly fractured before the accident and one possibly after it. It looks as though a recent planned maintenance inspection was not carried out, and if that's the case it's clear that an individual or individuals have been negligent, and may be charged with criminal offences.

If "those at the lowest level" are shown to have been at fault then I hope they do get the blame. Are you suggesting that someone else should carry the can for their shortcomings?

laurie53 08:10 27 Feb 07

No, but I'm suggesting that management should carry some responsibility.

We still have no laws on corporate responsibility, and if nothing has been learned since Potters Bar it is symptomatic of senior management failure.

What is the company ethos that allows such standards to prevail, and what has senior management, at boradroom level, done to change it?

Laurie

oresome 08:32 27 Feb 07

You can't say there haven't been significant changes at Railtrack.

The company has been taken back into public ownership and all maintenance is now done in-house and the for profit motivation has gone.

€dstowe 08:45 27 Feb 07

Maintenance may be now in house but that's only because the contracted companies who were doing it before were bought by Railtrack. It's probably the same people doing the actual work.

The chairman of Railtrack did admit on Channel 4 News last night, though, that some work such as ballast laying is still done by outside contractors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…