Another football club sold

season8 09:56 15 Dec 06

Newcastle United are sold for £227 Million, Liverpool could be next?
Is this good for the English game?
Is it good for the supporters & fan's of these clubs?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:59 15 Dec 06

Football clubs are purely a business, a thing that many supporters seems to forget. Businesses get bought and sold...............I really don't think that they even consider the supporters to any degree and if any supporter thinks so I feel that they are being very naive.

G

season8 10:23 15 Dec 06

Oh yes football clubs are seen as big business these days, but it is often forgotten that whilst revenue can be generated through sponsorship & sales of merchandise, it's often those "real" fans who get priced out leaving the prawn sandwhich brigade to support each club if the wish.

knockin on 11:02 15 Dec 06

How much would it matter to the world and life in general if no one ever kicked a football again?

Cymro. 11:19 15 Dec 06

You`r asking for trouble with a remark like that.

Jackcoms 13:53 15 Dec 06

I don't think that it's going to spoil my Christmas.

Jak_1 14:08 15 Dec 06

GANDALF <|:-)>
Football clubs are purely a business, a thing that many supporters seems to forget. Businesses get bought and sold...............I really don't think that they even consider the supporters to any degree and if any supporter thinks so I feel that they are being very naive.

Football clubs maybe a business Gandalf and I am not naive when I say that I know of one premiership club that considers it's supporters as a highly important part of the club. The chairman, a lifelong supporter of the club as his his business partner who have both ploughed millions into the club. A club where supporters regularly meet with board members and players. A club where supporters are consulted for their views, and act upon supporters requests, within good business reason. I myself have had a lot of input into their official website. That club is in the north west, not the club with the worlds biggest debt but one that resides close to them! A club that also does a lot for the community.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:56 15 Dec 06

You will find that, in the premiership, you are in a tiny minority of caring, sharing clubs.

G

Forum Editor 17:01 15 Dec 06

that if it came to a choice between considering the fans and considering the shareholders the directors of most footbal clubs would opt for the shareholders first, and the fans second. That may be unpalatable to the fans, but it's the truth - football clubs are very big businesses, and they'll be bought and sold just like any other coporate venture.

The days when the players travelled to the game on the bus with the fans are long gone, and TV rights now rule the world of football.

knockin on 18:46 15 Dec 06

Yes,I have to own up to a bit of mischief making in posting that.
Interesting that no one has suggested otherwise.
I suspect that the members of this forum are much to wise to fall for a red herring like that.

Al94 18:53 15 Dec 06

Doesn't matter what the business is, shareholders will win over customers every time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now