Another Event takes a dive -Health & Safety Issue

peter99co 21:49 19 Jun 08

Is it because everybody is afraid of getting sued when they run an event or is it just our freedom to have fun for a good cause is disliked by anybody in in council/public office?

click here

The insurance companies want a huge slice in case the organiser get sued and this is always going up.

We had to cancel a bonfire party because we were going to use fireworks and the insurance would not cover it.

peter99co 22:21 19 Jun 08

I should think as long as people sign a form to say they understand they could drown if they enter the water and give it to someone, they should be able to get on without all this paperwork and official rubbish. He is not having to organise anything, just tell them what day and time they are going to have a swim. I am sure that there are enough life savers amongst them to deal with any problems. Are we not allowed to take risks with our own bodies anymore?

wellshgit 23:24 19 Jun 08

Last year was Porthcawls 43rd Christmas swim with hundreds of swimmers click here I hope this years still goes ahead. It,s a great way to spend Christmas morning

laurie53 10:00 20 Jun 08

"I should think as long as people sign a form to say they understand they could drown if they enter the water and give it to someone, they should be able to get on without all this paperwork and official rubbish."

Unfortunately disclaimers are not accepted by the courts as a legitimate H&S defence.

The problem is that in the employment field too much pressure can be applied to workers to negate their own H&S protection.

I can see the guy's point, the risk assessment shouldn't be too difficult, but a bit daunting for a first timer.

His biggest difficulty, in my experience, would be getting the LA to accept that his risk assessment was "full and adequate".

Unlike the HSE, normally helpful, LAs are notorious for their bloody-mindedness.

Cymro. 10:45 20 Jun 08

Then insurance companies came in for a lot of criticism for refusing to cover such events as do the authorities for not allowing them to be organised.

But we must remember that the insurance companies are commercial organisations that are only in existence to make a profit for their share holders. If they think the risk is too high they will refuse cover or charge a lot more for it. They are not fools there is no way that they are going to operate at a loss.

As for the local authorities that refuse to give their permission for such things, I assume that they are restricted as to what they give permission for by their insurance providers.

peter99co 11:50 20 Jun 08

Maybe it will go on anyway without anyone organizing it. There is nothing to stop people from taking a swim when they like. They can still donate to the charity as they see fit.

peter99co 19:45 20 Jun 08

Another council has chickened out

click here

anchor 17:16 21 Jun 08

"Caretaker sues school for £50,000 after fall because he 'was not trained how to use stepladder"

click here

It is very sad he was so badly injured but, as he told the court, he had used stepladders for at least 30 years in his previous job. I would have imagined that gave him sufficient experience.

Forum Editor 17:27 21 Jun 08

Should read:

"Caretaker tries it on big-time".

peter99co 18:04 21 Jun 08

He should join a circus!

peter99co 18:11 27 Jun 08

25% to blame

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…