Annual cost of leaving equipment on standby.

wherty 20:50 25 Apr 06

Further to the discussions both on this site and in the press regarding “wasting” electricity and its effect on the planet I have checked the power consumption of various pieces of equipment when in standby mode. My conclusion using seven everyday electronic items is that the annual running cost is £38. The details for those interested are as follows:
All current measurements in amps.
Television 0.03
DVD Player 0.02
Video 0.05
Hi-Fi 0.06
PC Monitor 0.02
PC 0.21 (Power factor 0.75)
Set top box 0.03
I have assumed that they will be on standby, on average, 18 hours per day and the cost of electricity to be 5.53p per unit. I was rather surprised just how much this came to – what do you think?

spuds 21:02 25 Apr 06

Looking a my recent electric bill, with the new increased rate, I must be lighting up Blackpool tower :o)

Mr Mistoffelees 21:14 25 Apr 06

"the cost of electricity to be 5.53p per unit."

I wish my electricity was that cheap!

wherty 21:22 25 Apr 06

Perhaps it could be! London Energy, On-line A/C,
first 227 units 8.86p and thereafter 5.53.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:35 25 Apr 06

'My conclusion using seven everyday electronic items is that the annual running cost is £38'..that would not even fill half a tank of petrol in my car so I'll keep everything on standby :-)

G

wiz-king 05:56 26 Apr 06

I have a couple of smoke alarms that use
batteries, a handful of remote controls for the TV and other domestic stuff and five electric clocks, They cost about £20 to re-battery every year even at Maplin prices, I tried to make them wait until they stopped working but that meant a trip to the local shop/garage every few months where the batteries cost more, negating the cost saving of a yearly bulk buy.

wherty, It would be interesting if you measured the current of you pc while it is booting up from cold and the time it took to get into a working state and then you could compare the cost of leaving it running and turning it off each time you use it.

anchor 16:38 26 Apr 06

wiz-king:

Batteries are even cheaper at Poundland, if you have a branch near you. Everything costs £1.

click here

e.g. branded Alkaline: 4xAA, MN1604 - 9v.

oresome 17:31 26 Apr 06

Many homes will have more than one of each item listed, so the figure can easily be two or three times that stated.

Might not fill GANDALF <|:-)>'s car with fuel, but would finance a PC Advisor subscription.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:48 26 Apr 06

A friend of mine lost her job on the tills at Poundland because nothing had a price tag and she couldn't remember the prices.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…