Animal Group Names (Might come in handy someday)

Bing.alau 09:11 AM 20 Aug 12
Answered

A friend in Zimbabwe has sent this to me. I never knew the group name for Cheetahs, it matches up nicely with our government both past and present. Just needs a slight change to the spelling.

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/AnimalGroups.html

Some of the group names I don't agree with such as the word "brace" which I always assumed meant just two of something, mostly birds such as pheasants etc. But then I never searched a dictionary for the meaning of such words.

Aitchbee 09:20 AM 20 Aug 12

I like the term for a group of Swallows...a Gulp.

Quickbeam 09:39 AM 20 Aug 12

I've never heard of a cowardice of dogs before and they make no mention of a conspiracy of crows which I thought was one of the more common ones.

interzone55 09:42 AM 20 Aug 12

I think the word brace does mean a pair when referring to game birds, as in "I've just bagged a brace of pheasants"

Bing.alau 09:43 AM 20 Aug 12

A "swoop" of swallows would be nice.

Aitchbee 09:56 AM 20 Aug 12

A screech or scream of Swifts would be a more befitting description for a group of those 'Devil Birds'

Woolwell 10:20 AM 20 Aug 12

Aitchbee - are you sure that you have the right bird and not thinking of sea gulls? Bird song recordings

Aitchbee 10:28 AM 20 Aug 12

That's a smashing link, Woolwell.

Woolwell 10:30 AM 20 Aug 12
Answer

It can be a murder of crows. Many of these group names have variations locally. I think that term cowardice of dogs only refers to wild dogs.
Another list

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…