Animal Group Names (Might come in handy someday)

Bing.alau 09:11 AM 20 Aug 12
Answered

A friend in Zimbabwe has sent this to me. I never knew the group name for Cheetahs, it matches up nicely with our government both past and present. Just needs a slight change to the spelling.

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/AnimalGroups.html

Some of the group names I don't agree with such as the word "brace" which I always assumed meant just two of something, mostly birds such as pheasants etc. But then I never searched a dictionary for the meaning of such words.

Aitchbee 09:20 AM 20 Aug 12

I like the term for a group of Swallows...a Gulp.

Quickbeam 09:39 AM 20 Aug 12

I've never heard of a cowardice of dogs before and they make no mention of a conspiracy of crows which I thought was one of the more common ones.

interzone55 09:42 AM 20 Aug 12

I think the word brace does mean a pair when referring to game birds, as in "I've just bagged a brace of pheasants"

Bing.alau 09:43 AM 20 Aug 12

A "swoop" of swallows would be nice.

Aitchbee 09:56 AM 20 Aug 12

A screech or scream of Swifts would be a more befitting description for a group of those 'Devil Birds'

Woolwell 10:20 AM 20 Aug 12

Aitchbee - are you sure that you have the right bird and not thinking of sea gulls? Bird song recordings

Aitchbee 10:28 AM 20 Aug 12

That's a smashing link, Woolwell.

Woolwell 10:30 AM 20 Aug 12
Answer

It can be a murder of crows. Many of these group names have variations locally. I think that term cowardice of dogs only refers to wild dogs.
Another list

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone