Animal Birth methods placental or otherwise

Terry Brown 29 Mar 13
Answered

In a science class (Biology) we got to talking about birth methods of animals and mammals. (YES- 65, retired and back to college)

Some (like humans) have a umbilical cord which needs to be cut (or severed) and sealed and others do not.

Is there any way of defining which group animals and mammals belong to, in regards to this method of birth and apart from being 'In the wild', where no facilities exist, are there any advantages / disadvantages?.

Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 29 Mar 13

Animals are divided into various sub-groups, including birds, mammals, reptiles, fish and insects.

As far as I am aware ALL mammals have umbilical cords.

onthelimit1 29 Mar 13
Answer
  john bunyan 29 Mar 13

From memory, Mammals (with a few exceptions) have live, "umbilical" births and suckle their young and are warm bloodied and mostly hairy.. A few mammals are egg layers - Echidnas, Duck billed platypus to name two - I assume they do not have umbilical chords..

Terry Brown 30 Mar 13

Onthelimit 1

Thanks for a very good answer, The question we was asked was:-

"Do all warm blooded animals/mammals have an umbilical used for nurturing the young and what happened to it after birth., if not name some of that do not and the reasons why not?

Thanks also to John Bunyan and Fruit Bat?/\0/\

And this is only the basics!!.

Terry

Belatucadrus 31 Mar 13

I suspect the question is referring to Marsupials and Monotremes. Both technically mammals, but neither develops their young in vitro via a placenta.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message