Amazon planning to open in the High Street?

Al94 09:16 10 Dec 09

If this turns out to be correct is it a mistake? Surely Amazon's great strength was as an efficient online retailer without the cost burden of a High Street presence? Will they still be as competitive pricewise? click here

canarieslover 09:26 10 Dec 09

One of the worst things about internet shopping is wasteing a day or so just sitting waiting for the delivery. I always use the collect from store option when ordering from Tesco Direct or Argos as it is then available at my convenience. It also makes life a lot easier if the goods arrive damaged as you can deal with it there and then, rather than arrange a collection and re-delivery. I, for one, would welcome such a move by Amazon, and would probably use them even more.

Managing ed 09:52 10 Dec 09

At least not now.

click here

Who do you trust: PCA or The Times? Don't answer that...

johndrew 10:12 10 Dec 09

`Don't answer that...`

OK. But it`s your loss!!

Grey Goo 11:09 10 Dec 09

It can take longer to arrive at the store for pick up than being delivered by courier. Our local Boots takes about a week and then they never actually contact you to advise of the delivery. When you politely enquire,its either a surly, gobby young assistant or some Harradin with a face like a bag of spanners that reluctantly go and check in the stockroom. At Wilko's they are a bit more cheery but do not seem to know what day of the week it is.

Pine Man 11:09 10 Dec 09

Amazon already has a high street outlet - it's called Waterstones!

interzone55 11:30 10 Dec 09

I never have to wait around for Amazon deliveries. As most are delivered by Royal Mail (or used to be) I simply collect them from the sorting office the next day.

Parcels delivered by Home Delivery Network are left at my neighbour's, and he pops them round when I get home, or left at the depot, which is 5 minutes walk from work.

Anything very urgent I have delivered to work.

Simples

Al94 13:14 10 Dec 09

Amazon already has a high street outlet - it's called Waterstones!

Not so - in 2001 Waterstones (owned by HMV Group PLC) franchised their on line operation to Amazon but in 2006 independently relaunched its own internal site now run from their own distribution centre in Burton Upon Trent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…