Amazon Penalised for selling to cheaply

jakimo 12:23 13 Dec 07

Amazon France have been threatened with large fines if they continue to sell books delivery free or offer more than a 5% discount above manufacturers RRP,hardly in the interest of the buying public

click here

Mike D 12:26 13 Dec 07

Just so long as it doenn't affect UK sales prices in the future

lisa02 12:34 13 Dec 07

"which should at least allow the company to maintain the offer through the end-of-year gift-giving season."

French can pay more books if they want, I just liked the above PC name for Christmas.

Cymro. 16:00 13 Dec 07

It seems that the French government are trying to protect high street bookshops. That is something that has been suggested on this forum for a British government but as regards post offices and other small businesses.

It is not something that I support or have very much interest in. But some who may post on this will do well to remember their own past posts on similar subjects in the British high street.

realist 18:57 13 Dec 07

The French government also have eBay in their sights for not adequately policing its auctions against fake goods.

spuds 19:32 13 Dec 07

Why penalise Amazon for selling books to cheap. Here in the UK, you only have to go to places like 'The Works', were you can buy last years or even sooner best sellers or overstocked issues for ridiculously low prices.

interzone55 19:37 13 Dec 07

Think back a few years - we had a system called the "Net Book Agreement", this was a system that meant that you could not sell a current book for less than the cover price, remaindered books were excempt.
It was meant to protect the small book shops from the likes of Waterstones.

The system was abandoned as it was in danger of being challenged in court as an illegal price fixing mechanism.

How many small booksellers are left?

I hate to say it, but maybe the French have a point...

Coffee Adict 19:57 13 Dec 07

Alan14
Like me you obviously have a connection with the booktrade, perhaps an explanation of what a remaindered book is, basically its a book the publisher no longer wishes to support, or a new edition is comming out or its going into paperback from hardback, the publishers sell all their stock off cheap to remainder book stores. Notice theres allways a lot of hardbacks in theses stores. Amazon is a different story, its about what Amazon want you to buy, their choice not yours.

interzone55 08:47 14 Dec 07

My only connection to the book trade is that a large proportion of my wages used to go into the till at my local independent book shop.

Now that it's closed the money goes to Amazon & Waterstones

Stuartli 17:17 15 Dec 07

>>It seems that the French government are trying to protect high street bookshops. That is something that has been suggested on this forum for a British government but as regards post offices and other small businesses.>>

The view has normally been that a French government of any era couldn't run a bath, never mind an economy.

Re Post Offices. The largest shareholder is the Governmentc (via the DTi).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…