Am I a Racist?

morddwyd 10:15 17 Apr 15

I was reading a report on a murder in a local paper, and as soon as I saw it involved Eastern Europeans I turned my attention elsewhere.

Had it involved Brits, or even French or Germans I would almost certainly have finished the report, so, on reflection I suppose that does make me a racist.

While it's not deliberate, that does make me rather sad.

rickf 10:41 17 Apr 15

Don't know if you are a racist but it certainly shows you that unconsciously you placed a lower value on the lives of Eastern Europeans.

lotvic 10:59 17 Apr 15

Or maybe you've just reached saturation point of reading about occurrences involving one particular section of society.

I stopped reading about Savile and victims when it was all over the papers, - it didn't mean I was unsympathetic towards them.

rickf 11:25 17 Apr 15

Sad as in remorse is a great healing power. Yes, I agree that it is very honest of you to say this.

Forum Editor 12:02 17 Apr 15

Your thoughts,opinions and prejudices are private until you voice them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:10 17 Apr 15

I would suspect that we are all "racist" to some degree.

Politicians will encourage it in some instances (wars - immigration) and deny it in others.

Sports is the same, support the home team - especially when playing against the "Argies" "Germans" "Scots" "French"

We're probably "racist" against our own people too if you consider the way we may think about the "Chavs" or "Aristos" or "Middle Class".

I would think that if you read about a murder in the rough part of the city you would dismiss it far quicker than reading about one in suburbia.

Flak999 14:52 17 Apr 15

I suppose it depends on your interpretation of racism. The Oxford English Dictionary defines racism as "The "belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races" and the expression of such prejudice"

When you read the article about the murder and subsequently found it involved eastern Europeans you ceased to be interested in it. You made a value judgement in your mind that as it was eastern Europeans 'what do you expect' and so dismissed it. I would probably have done the same thing!

However, if you had read this story i would hazard that your reaction would have been somewhat different?

As with most things it all depends on the context of the story being reported as to how we react to it.

caccy 18:04 17 Apr 15

As a young lad it was "them in the next village". About 2 miles away and definitely inferior to us!

morddwyd 19:25 17 Apr 15

I think we are dwelling a bit too much on the fact of the murder.

I am not just fed up of reading about eastern Europeans being invoked in murder, I am fed up of reading stories about eastern Europ4ans, full stop!

bumpkin 20:37 17 Apr 15

I am not just fed up of reading about eastern Europeans being invoked in murder, I am fed up of reading stories about eastern Europ4ans, full stop!

Me too, sick of it.

rdave13 00:42 18 Apr 15

Your thoughts,opinions and prejudices are private until you voice them.

I absolutely agree FE.

Maybe more people being more vocal might get this third rate country back on its feet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017