Am I Being Pessimistic?

morddwyd 15:50 14 Nov 10

With the field opposite full of geese for the first time this season and the first gritter just gone past the window, am I being overly gloomy in expecting a bit of cold?

Bapou 15:57 14 Nov 10

Could be, no sign of a gritter yet but the geese arrived a couple of weeks ago. Each morning they leave a river island nearby and head for the barley fields. You can virtually set the clock by them, 7.30am, one hell of a racket as they fly over our house.

morddwyd 16:53 14 Nov 10

We've had the geese around for a month or so, but they don't normally come down near the houses until winter is well on.

We've also had some frosts, but for the council to be paying Sunday overtime rates in these recessionary times the threat must be fairly serious!

Forum Editor 17:01 14 Nov 10

on the North westerly and North easterly winds, and are motivated to move by the worsening weather conditions in their summer locations.

Plenty of people are saying we'll have a hard winter, but I don't see how they can predict it - certainly not on the basis of what animals are doing.

Feel free to point me back to this post when we're all knee deep in snow and frozen points.

carver 17:27 14 Nov 10

Look on the bright side, as a Pessimist at least you will not be disappointed if you are right and if your wrong,you still wont be disappointed.

morddwyd 19:34 14 Nov 10

"The geese have been blown in

on the North westerly and North easterly winds"

The geese arrived a month ago from Iceland, 65,000 of them within a few miles.

They have simply moved down to where the food is more plentiful and the temperature a bit higher.

When they are within a hundred yards or so of a busy road, and suburban gardens, it means that cold weather is driving them.

I said nothing about a hard winter, just that I expected it to get a bit cold.

It has!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…