Is this also a problem in parts of UK

Noldi 18:32 10 Jun 10

I had a problem this week that made me think does this happen in the UK.

Living in Europe, I picked up my new car and before it had done 1,000 miles it started saying the coolant needed topping up, this ended up being more than 2 litres of water over a weekend and obvious signs of fluid leakage spray around the engine. Took the car back to dealer and they repaired it but told me that a Marder (type of pine martin) had chewed through one of he heating hoses. Luckily covered by my ins because this is a regular problem, they seem to like chewing rubber especially brake hoses and drive shaft gaiters.
Do people in outlying areas of the UK have this problem with Martins?

Noldi

sunnystaines 18:55 10 Jun 10

i think you would have to go to the scottish pine forrests to find pine martins in GB.

But squrriels and mice can do similar damage to cars.

Belatucadrus 19:25 10 Jun 10

We've had mouse damage to the screenwash bottlecap.

al's left peg 19:49 10 Jun 10

I know a guy who bought a brand new XR3i a few years back and it broke down as he drove away from the showroom. The problem was caused by rats chewing through the wiring loom :(

spuds 21:15 10 Jun 10

Not so much pine martins, more like a grouse or other feathered fiend do mischief. A bird hitting your vehicle at 50/70 can be rather expensive.

Talking about local wildlife. I recall the days when it was a daily routine to check your vehicle for unwanted strangers, after the vehicle had been left for a time in some countries. Snakes wrapped around warm engines springs to mind as one example!.

Noldi 06:19 11 Jun 10

Only in Scotland im suprised. Not in parts of Dolby forest in Yorkshire or Wales etc.

Noldi

morddwyd 07:50 11 Jun 10

The rats round here tend to break a side window and steal the sat nav/stereo.

"Snakes wrapped around warm engines springs to mind as one example!."

And tapping your shoes on the ground before putting them on to get rid of the scorpions!

peter99co 11:31 11 Jun 10

At Clumber Park in North Nottinghamshire the squirrels like to chew the Propane Gas pipes of visiting Caravans if a gas bottle is used outside the caravan.

ronalddonald 11:36 11 Jun 10

Some years back i use to won a fiat regatta turbo diesel, new about 8 months later the cable in the handbrake snapped.

Took it back i head to wait eight weeks because the type of cable want they used wasnt available here in the UK only in Italy

anchor 11:47 11 Jun 10

ronalddonald: 8 weeks to send a cable from Italy to the UK is a disgrace. A small item like that could have been sent by DHL and been here in 48hrs.

It appears they waited for their normal van delivery. So much for Fiat service!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant