Alpine Strawberry Kit

Aitchbee 20:33 11 Apr 11

Instructions say; for best results put your seeds in the freezer for 2-4 weeks before sowing. Then it goes back to normal instructions. Gosh , these strawberry seeds are tough little blighters. They are in the freezeer now. What other plant /seeds need this icy temperature to germinate? Am I on the wrong website?

Aitchbee 21:34 11 Apr 11

Hello AitchBEE i think you are on the wrong website. Anybody who uses the PCA website don't eat fruit.

uk-wizard 06:40 12 Apr 11

Nature can seem strange at times. Lots of seeds need a frost to get them going, some need fire.

Quickbeam 06:52 12 Apr 11

Which is why raspberry and gooseberry crops produce tastier fruit after a harsh winter.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed how many dead palm trees there are around the estates after December's 3 week blast freeze. It also killed off an olive tree of mine and 6 other shrubs. But all the native trees around are leafing with gusto, looking their best in years.

morddwyd 07:38 12 Apr 11

Some seeds need a soak in very hot (200 deg F) water before sowing.

Quickbeam 08:00 12 Apr 11

morddwyd, how did nature arrive at that then?

morddwyd 08:37 12 Apr 11

Forest fires, volcanoes etc.

BT 09:00 12 Apr 11

Quickbeam

Lots of dead/dying palm type trees around here in Norwich. Its a shame as some of them are quite large and old.

Quickbeam 09:05 12 Apr 11

Oh, I see You mean as a substitute natural event. I had visions of wood wights boiling up the seeds and spreading them for mother nature:)

Quickbeam 09:15 12 Apr 11

BT

We've forgotten that we're not a tropical country after decades of mild winters we've fooled ourselves into believing that we can have anything grow in suburbia.

I also predict that the Coxes will be extra tasty this year because of last December.

Aitchbee 09:37 12 Apr 11

Hello everyone - I'm also propagating some Jalapeno Chilli plants - honest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac