Allergies! how do they work.?

Uboat 09:32 27 Feb 11

Good morning everyone! i was brought up on farms near Hull most of my life i was driving tractors when i was 14 (not on the road) leading combines!
My parents owned a large field & we had stables built for horses, this is true & this was 20 years ago, We all ate very well with large english b/fast on a sunday morning with not one of us suffering any kinda allergy..so on and so on... since then ive moved out of the rural areas ive noticed some changes that i just cant figure out?

I now cant go near horses my eyes puff out & go bloodshot with a mucus substance?
& now i have just found out i have a wheat allergy?

How can this be that most of my childhood and teenage years upto some years into my adulthood i lived everyday eating bread and being around animals such like & now all of a sudden i cant eat bread or go near horses in fact even if i am subject to the smell of them my eyes start off again.? has anyone else noticed changes in their bodies functions.? does this have anything to do with being overweight?

Thanks

UB

OTT_B 09:41 27 Feb 11

Much like you,, I grew up in a rural area. I spent most of my time in fields or in the woods and never suffered once for it.

20 years later and I get chronic hayfever and rashes coming up when I touch forest plants!

Very frustrating.

peter99co 11:12 27 Feb 11

Maybe your built in defences are now deciding to attack rather than defend you.

Had you continued with your rural contact it may not have happened.

sunnystaines 11:29 27 Feb 11

similar prob here in my 50's now and during the last 6 months for no reason i have developed asthma, with an IGE blood reading ten times normal levels.

cannot understand it, always thought you were born with it or it ran in families.

at a guess i think its pollution as we live near heathrow.

Forum Editor 11:41 27 Feb 11

at more or less any age, although the late teen years are when you are most likely to succumb. You aren't born with allergies - they develop as a result of your immune system interacting with a substance or substances in the outside world. You can inherit a genetic predisposition to become allergic, although it doesn't mean you inherit any allergies.

Allergies develop, but rarely go away altogether, although food allergies can subside when you avoid contact with the offending food.

About a third of all people have an allergy of some kind - the most common being an allergy to the droppings of house dust mites.

onthelimit 12:17 27 Feb 11

I suffered with their effects for years. Eventually got tested by a military doctor who found that I was allergic to them. After 6 mths of de-sensitising injections, I became almost completely clear of the symptoms (sneezing, runny nose for a couple of hours each morning).

spuds 12:54 27 Feb 11

Most people do not realise that they might have allergies of one kind or another, perhaps mainly due to past beings disguising these events.

Perhaps off subject, but have you ever wondered how your grand-parents or even parents worked in certain conditions or surroundings, and perhaps showed no ill effect until later life. Asbestos dust is one such subject, as were many other similar incidents or episodes of life. The symptons might have been there, but not the prevention?.

The same could perhaps be stated about the food we eat, and how the ingredients of that effects us. Try reading any label of nowadays and that of yester-year, and see how they differ or fair on your constitution, and perhaps allergy rating?.

Not all that long ago, I was reading an article about visits by 'townies' to farms and pet centres, and the possible spreading of diseases and infections due to patting and feeding. This is a subject that never ever made the news, now it might become a major concern, regarding cleanliness of our rural surroundings.

Forum Editor 13:16 27 Feb 11

has and is increasing, and for various reasons. One of those is fairly simple to understand - there are far more allergenic substances in the environment than in the past.

Stress is also considered to be a significant factor; we're leading life at a far faster pace than in past times, and it's affecting us in all kinds of ways - allergies being one of them.

Allergies have always been with us, but haven't always been recognised as such. People suffered from various allergic reactions, and simply put it down to a rash, or a respiratory infection. Most allergies are not life threatening (some are), and so they weren't a major problem.

morddwyd 19:53 27 Feb 11

Reactions to some allergens, ny some people, get worse with each exposure.

Anaphylactic shock in reaction to peanuts is a fairly well known example. The serious and potentially fatal reaction rarely occurs on first exposure but develops over time.

Contact dermatitis is another one. I have mentioned before my experience of a junior in a hairdressing salon who was doing 30 shampoos a day.

Her allergy to shampoo developed so badly that she now has to cross the street when passing a salon for fear someone will open the door while she's passing, resulting in a lengthy stay in a skin ward.

Forum Editor 23:08 27 Feb 11

In the UK the current death rate from anaphylactic shock is around 10-20 per year.

Anaphylactic reactions requiring hospital treatment in England increased threefold between 1994 and 2004.

timsmith259 23:31 27 Feb 11

could be the feed of the animals has changed over the years and the chemicals used today......and the amount of pollution goes up rather than down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…