Allegedly

VoG II 21:45 18 Jun 07

click here

Now I'm somewhat confused. I know that I can pepper any post with this term but when is it obligatory to avoid the courts and when not.

Kate B 21:53 18 Jun 07

It's used specifically when you're publishing a report about allegations that may or may not be true to protect you from repeating what might be a libel and for which you too could be sued. However, it's not exclusively used for that specific context: it means declared or stated but not proven. click here

anskyber 22:00 18 Jun 07

I see no harm in the way KateB used the word, and in a way this is a bit of navel gazing.

My reading of the use of the word in the context of the thread was to caution a reservation that someone who had such an acerbic sense of humour could be so "caring"

I do not know the man and if I had to judge on the basis of the broadcasts he made I have no desire to have known him, I am willing to accept I could be wrong.

€dstowe 22:07 18 Jun 07

"Allegedly" is a word brought back into popular use by Ian Hislop and other editors of Private Eye to reduce their outgoings in respect of payments to the courts are being sued for libel.

madgamer234 22:09 18 Jun 07

my reading of news print reveals that a writer can dish out has much muck as they can risk or enjoy as long as they add the word allegedly,allegedly!touch of the rouge trader really.
it it the same as going out in the streets virtually naked but by wearing see through pantyhose you are in the clear?

Kate B 22:10 18 Jun 07

Actually, that's not a bad metaphor, madgamer! The point of it is that you're not just repeating the libel, you're indicating that it's something that's been said about someone and not commenting on its veracity or otherwise.

€dstowe 22:13 18 Jun 07

My post above should read:

Allegedly" is a word brought back into popular use by Ian Hislop and other editors of Private Eye to reduce their outgoings in respect of payments to the courts after being sued for libel.

Posting before I read it again!

WhiteTruckMan 22:39 18 Jun 07

"..allegations that may or may not be true to protect you from repeating what might be a libel and for which you too could be sued"

Now, I have a problem with that sort of thing. To me, its tantamount to a license to print/repeat any old cobblers that someone with a fertile imagination thought up.

If something is demonstrably true then you dont need the word alledgedly.

If it is obviously a lie then it shouldnt be spread about.

If you cant prove something then its just tittle tattle gossip to tittilate the masses into buy a paper/watching a programme etc. If people want to spread gossip then they should be prepared to be held accountable, and not go hiding behind some legal technicality.

WTM

anskyber 22:45 18 Jun 07

"If you cant prove something then its just tittle tattle gossip"

Not really, it's usually called opinion. Frankly WTM if your approach is accepted then very little posted on this site would qualify for printing.

Kate B 22:46 18 Jun 07

WTM, you might well be right on that.

Forum Editor 23:15 18 Jun 07

it would be very difficult to report certain stories.

If someone says he couldn't have murdered X in London because he was in New York at the time of the killing he may be lying. If another person tells you she saw him in London with a gun in his hand it's not something you can report as fact - so you say "Y was allegedly in London at the "time, although he says he wasn't"

If you couldn't say 'allegedly' you would have to say nothing about the other person's supposed sighting, and your reporting would be that less robust.

"If something is demonstrably true then you dont need the word alledgedly. If it is obviously a lie then it shouldnt be spread about."

Well, that's just the problem isn't it? Often something is neither demonstrably true, or obviously a lie, but that doesn't mean it can't be reported or commented on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…