Alert - Savlon Disinfectant Liquid

Graham. 16:12 01 Sep 07

An extract from a memo sent out by Cats Protection:

Please note that the formulation of Savlon Disinfectant Liquid has changed. It now contains Benzalkonium Chloride which is poisonous to cats. If you are using Savlon Disinfectant Liquid, please stop doing so with immediate effect and ensure all surfaces that have been cleaned with the disinfectant are rinsed thoroughly to remove any residue.

Clapton is God 16:18 01 Sep 07

Excellent.

I've just purchased a large supply of Savlon Disinfectant Liquid.

You may now bring me as many cats as you wish.

VoG II 16:23 01 Sep 07

Poisonous to cats? It is used in a myriad of products including antiseptics for cats click here

Totally-braindead 16:29 01 Sep 07

Perhaps its poisionous if the cats drink it neat?

Earthsea 16:40 01 Sep 07

Unless a cat deliberately wanted to pop its clogs, I doubt it would go around licking Savlon off surfaces.

Graham. 16:44 01 Sep 07

Thanks, I hoped you would spot this thread. The memo comes from their Veterinary Department.

VoG II 16:54 01 Sep 07

I've done a fairly cursory search and all I can find is the irritant effect on cats eyes. This isn't surprising since it is essentially a detergent (a bit like getting soap in your eyes).

Forum Editor 16:56 01 Sep 07

and in treatments for insect bite and stings.

The words "poisonous to cats" are a little misleading - many things are poisonous if enough of them is ingested, including Benzalkonium Chloride. It kills frogs, and no doubt it would kill cats eventually, but they would have to drink a lot of it.

Let's not have any more requests such as "If you are using Savlon Disinfectant Liquid, please stop doing so with immediate effect and ensure all surfaces that have been cleaned with the disinfectant are rinsed thoroughly to remove any residue." Without a little more scientific supporting evidence than a "memo sent out by Cats protection".

Sent out when, and to whom? There's nothing about it on their website.

Graham. 17:02 01 Sep 07

Memo dated 29th August, sent out to all branches.

Forum Editor 17:40 01 Sep 07

Ah, I see.

Not a warning to the general public. If it was, I think Novartis (who make Savlon) might have something to say about the "poisonous to cats" statement.

Graham. 17:42 01 Sep 07

If you consider the thread libelous I'm happy for you to remove it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…