Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin'

peter99co 18:03 01 Nov 10

click here

This is going to cause a stir I think.

When I was young my father said I should drink not smoke. I have since packed up drinking and smoking. (never in excess anyway)

Forum Editor 18:08 01 Nov 10

to anyone. The detrimental affects of alcohol abuse have been pretty well documented for a very long time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:16 01 Nov 10

For many year I worked part-time for the Youth Justice Team and during this I attended many lectures on substance abuse. To be called a 'class A' drug, a substance had to score 17 out of 20 from a set of questions, class B - 15 and C 13. Interestingly, alcohol and nicotine scored 19 and nicotine is the only drug that can get a person addicted from one hit.
If alcohol and nicotine were invented today, they would be both class one drugs. It is easier to get off heroin than nicotine or alcohol contrary to tripe that is told to the general public.

G

wee eddie 18:18 01 Nov 10

a visit to most Hospital A&E Departments, on a Saturday Night, should confirm that.

peter99co 22:01 01 Nov 10

"threaten to destabilise further the orthodoxy on drug policy in Britain."

Kevscar1 11:30 02 Nov 10

Of course it's more harmful. Have you ever tried to snort a pint of lager.

Quickbeam 11:38 02 Nov 10

"Have you ever tried to snort a pint of lager"
That usually happens when someone tells a particularly raucous tail in a pub.

Quickbeam 11:39 02 Nov 10

or even a tale...

spuds 11:42 02 Nov 10

No but I once tried in my youth, one of those long beer filled glass thingy's and nearly drowned myself.

sunnystaines 12:33 02 Nov 10

if any drugs are made legal, then they should only be bought through retail outlets where manufacture process makes sure that are what they say on the tin.

not as bought on the street where they are cut with all sorts of dodgy stuff.

michaelw 12:34 02 Nov 10

An alcoholic beverage is a drink containing ethanol (commonly called alcohol). Alcoholic beverages are divided into three general classes: beers, wines, and spirits. They are legally consumed in most countries, and over 100 countries have laws regulating their production, sale, and consumption. In particular, such laws specify the minimum age at which a person may legally buy or drink them. This minimum age varies between 16 and 25 years, depending upon the country and the type of drink. Most nations set it at 18 years of age.

The production and consumption of alcohol occurs in most cultures of the world, from hunter-gatherer peoples to nation-states. Alcoholic beverages are often an important part of social events in these cultures. In many cultures, drinking plays a significant role in social interaction — mainly because of alcohol’s neurological effects.

Alcohol is a psychoactive drug that has a depressant effect. A high blood alcohol content is usually considered to be legal drunkenness because it reduces attention and slows reaction speed. Alcohol can be addictive, and the state of addiction to alcohol is known as alcoholism.

Hic!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…