Album of the year & Classical Brits

belfman 21:22 08 Mar 08

click here to see this year's nominations and an opportunity to vote.

What has been your favourite album of the year even if it isn't on the list?

(Doesn't have to be classical, just your own favourite of the year)

My own is a compilation cd "Celtic Dreams" - it has permanently occupied 2 trays in the HiFi all year.

peg 22:00 08 Mar 08

mine has got to be In Rainbows - Radiohead I also liked the way you could download it and pay what you wanted or nothing if you so desired. I am i die hard Radiohead fan so maybe just a tad biased

wee eddie 09:20 09 Mar 08

Has to get my Vote.

But then I'm not entirely impartial, Oliver is my Nephew.

belfman 15:46 09 Mar 08

Thanks for the responses.

I've never heard of Blake but just listened to them sing World in Union, not bad!

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:26 09 Mar 08

and find this kind of stuff the typical fodder served up by Classic FM and not to my taste at all. Nothing wrong with trying to make classical music more popular, I just don't like it when the performer seems to be more important than the music.

laurie53 09:46 10 Mar 08

But more often than not it's the performer who makes the music important in the first place.

Many of the classical (and pop) composers were (and are) the first ones to perform their music.

I think I find your view a bit pompous, even more than the "fodder serving" Classic FM who banned Bond as being too "pop".

Quickbeam 09:53 10 Mar 08

"I'm a Radio Three man"

That makes you one of the elite 50,000 few, that tune into some of their broadcasts :))

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:07 10 Mar 08

CFM had baned Bond, maybe I'll give them another try!
Having looked at my post again I can see you might view it as a bit pompous, wasn't my intention though. It's funny how Radio 3 is seen as a bit elitist, when it broadcasts far more variety of music than the rather 'safe' CFM. I expect that's the price you pay for having to rely on advertising revenue, and have to appeal to a much broader demographic. Each to his or her own.

Woolwell 19:00 26 Mar 08

wee eddie might like to know that Blake have just been on BBC Spotlight click here and they will be on Radio Devon at 10 pm on Thursday night.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…