Alan Turing

onthelimit1 09:35 23 Jun 12

I see Google are celebrating his 100th birthday. Someone we should all be grateful to, but who was treated badly in his lifetime.

Aitchbee 09:49 23 Jun 12

Sir Derek Jacobi played the part of the genius English mathematician in...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115749/

...Jacobi is good at playing 'misfits'...remember "I, Claudius"?

spuds 11:58 23 Jun 12

fourm member

Without bringing in a conspiracy theory, perhaps the verdict on the Iraqi weapons expert might be the same?.

Condom 12:05 23 Jun 12

Like many things Coroner's "rules" have changed over the years to reflect changing improvements in science and medical "know-how".

I think all we are seeing here is someone saying that if he had died yesterday then the verdict would in all probability be different to that issued at the time.

I think it is fair to say that unless papers are released "saying the powers that be" did it then know one really know and everything else is supposition.

SparkyJack 20:30 23 Jun 12

For added interest the Science Museum London an Exhibion celebrating his centenery opened on Thursday 21st

Runs until. July 31st. 2013

WhiteTruckMan 22:30 23 Jun 12

He wouldn't be the only scientist to poison themselves.

I believe Marie Curie died from illness brought upon by long term exposure to radiation.

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 20:49 24 Jun 12

fourm member:

You'r probably right (I have no information one way or another, but it sounds plausible) but I was responding to your comment about scientists. I'm sure there are no end of incidents involving unintentional poisoning of workers unaware of any hazards.

However, on the subject of Alan Turing, I happen to believe his treatment by an ingrateful establishment of the day is nothing short of despicable.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…