Airport security

carver 10:11 30 Jan 11

I know that we need vigilant airport staff but sometimes you just have to think have they been watching too many movies. click here
small soldiers
click here

johndrew 10:40 30 Jan 11

Ah yes, but when you have a hat with 'jobsworth' on the badge which covers a head with a severe lack of common sense ............

carver 12:53 30 Jan 11

Is that the same lack of common sense as shown by this person click here

I can see him on the plane demanding to be given a million pounds or else he will shoot every body with his tee shirt.

Forum Editor 15:10 30 Jan 11

travelling to and fro through our airports and you'll realise just how difficult a job these security guards have.

Passengers are almost always infected with airport fever to some extent, and an air of tension is apparent at the security gates - everyone just wants to get through to air-side, and relax in the knowledge that they can shop, drink and eat, and generally do their thing before the flight is called.

If there's going to be trouble it will happen at the security gates, and in my time I've witnessed some real gems. I've seen a grown man lying on the floor kicking and yelling like a spoilt child because he had his carry on bag searched, and I once saw a woman wet herself with fear as a female guard asked her to step to one side at Heathrow.

The security people make assessments all day every day, and when there are 300 people standing tensely at the gates there are bound to be incidents like the plastic gun thing. It's not the end of the world to have to send an item by post, and as fourm member says, I would much rather see the rules scrupulously enforced than risk something nasty being carried into the same aircraft as me.

johndrew 16:24 30 Jan 11

Many of these security people bring problems on their own heads by failing to use common sense, courtesy and a reasonable attitude generally.

Whilst I accept there are good reasons for the banned items, using the same rules on a 3" plastic replica attached to a model is totally inept and causes public opposition to their function.

Where the rules are applied sensibly the public will, generally, recognise the need and accept them. It is nearly always stupidity, on either side, that causes friction.

johndrew 16:30 30 Jan 11

I should have added, for those unaware, that a definition of a firearm in law does exist and the item complained of clearly does not fit the description either in actual or replica form.

"A firearm is a "lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot bullet or other missile can be discharged and includes ...... any component part...." S57(1) Firearms Act 1968."

Noldi 16:42 30 Jan 11

I think the queuing before security does not help peoples state of mind at UK airports. I think you have to accept whatever these people decide, because at the end of the day it’s your security because they are not getting on a plane but you are. Three times I have had things confiscated at Airport security through my own stupidity.

Noldi

spuds 17:01 30 Jan 11

It isn't a case of 'jobs-worth' or anything else, because travel and internal security is there for a reason, and that safety.

Safety at various ports and crossings have been there for many years. I recall once of being asked to point a camera towards the ground and take a photograph at Lod airport in Israel. Thinking what a strange request, but I obliged. A few months later a major bomb incident took place at the airport. It could well have been me carrying a bomb!.

On another occasion I was at Kia Tak airport in Hong Kong, and on bag inspection I was relieved of a couple of parangs, with the promise that I could collect them on my later departure date. Again perhaps another strange request I thought at the time, because these type of implements are readily available from many sources around Hong Kong. At least on this occasion the authorities were acting correctly, another couple of killing implement that were accountable, and in safe keeping. Would add that other places en-route to the UK were less diligent.

A number of other similar incidents have occurred on my travels, and in each case I was pleased that security was at least available at some points of entry and exit. Those extra few minutes could make all the difference!.

Colin 17:53 30 Jan 11

I was at Manchester Airport terminal 1 yesterday, seeing someone off. At departures, before going through security, there was an airport employee very politely asking passengers if they have any liquids etc. It amazed me the number of people carrying the ubiquitous bottle of water, (don’t get me started on those!), or drinking from. They seemed surprised that they couldn’t continue with them but there was no resistance when asked to dispose of them.

Forum Editor 18:04 30 Jan 11

"Many of these security people bring problems on their own heads...."

I invite you to consider how you might feel, having to deal with thousands of passengers - many of them irritable and uncooperative - every week, knowing that if you make one slip-up you could be allowing a lethal weapon or substance aboard an aircraft.

We're lucky - I travel through Beijing airport quite often, and if you think the UK security guards are "failing to use common sense, courtesy and a reasonable attitude generally." you should try the Chinese variety.

Security in airports and on aircraft is an absolute nightmare for the people who have to deal with it, they have my utmost sympathy. They do a very difficult job in circumstances that would sometimes try the patience of a saint. Everyone who travels by air should support them, not pillory them at every opportunity.

WhiteTruckMan 19:33 30 Jan 11

I have yet to see which (correctly applied) rule calls for the banning of this 3" toy.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…