Airplane Crashes

birdface 10:16 13 May 10

Probably just a coincidence but I was watching a TV program about Plane crashes on the TV about 10 days ago when a fully loaded plane had to do a fly past at an air show.
It was filmed live from the ground and as the plane reached the end of the runway it was not high enough to clear the trees and crashed.
I think all but 3 were saved.
Now the problem was it was new plane and as the pilot pulled the nose of the plane up to try and gain hight the onboard computer took over and actually tilted the nose down instead of up.
The captain was found guilty in an investigation and still denies it was his fault.
Black box was found and scrutinized but photo's taken at the scene showed that the black box may not have been the one from the plane and it was a cover up from the makers of the plane.
The captain said he was flying at 100-200ft according to the film the tail could not have been more than 40ft above the runway which meant the hight shown on the plane gave the wrong height.
Now you may wonder what I am gabbering on about but 2 recent plane crashes One with the Polish president aboard and one from South Africa which crashed in Libya both coming in to land and both crashed short of the runways.
I am just wondering if they were the same type of Airplanes and maybe the dial giving the altitude shows 100ft less than the actual height of the plane.
A lot of ifs but this was a new plane with new computer technology so just wondering if there could be a technical problem with them.

birdface 10:24 13 May 10

I Just ruled out the Polish plane it was a Tupolev 154 a Russian design.

bremner 10:24 13 May 10

The plane in teh main incident you describe was an AirBus A320 click here.

I too watch Air Crash Investigation and whilst the conspiracy theorist had a field day there were clearly other issues that contributed to the crash. (Maps that failed to show the forest at the end of the runway for instance.

The crash yesterday was an A330-200, the same as the Air France crash off South America in June last year.

The Polish presidents crash was a Russian Tupolev 154 - a plane with a very poor historic safty record.

The one thing that is certain is that the crashes will be exhaustively investigated and if there are inherant problems they will be addresses.

dagbladet 10:36 13 May 10

To say that the TU-154 has a "...very poor historic safty record..." is perhaps a little misleading. Considering the heavy use, sometimes in arduous, even marginal conditions they hoild their own against their competitors. I don't think the aircraft itself is inherently unsafe.

bremner 10:42 13 May 10

"I don't think the aircraft itself is inherently unsafe" I accept that this is true.

I perhaps should have said that for many different reasons 28 have crashed.

birdface 10:46 13 May 10

The lybia plane.

The almost-new plane was the same type as Air France flight 447 which plunged into the Atlantic in June last year. The cause of that crash has not been fully identified.

Nice piece of work.I should maybe have thought of that before posting.
Thats all my theories out of the window.

bremner 10:50 13 May 10

The problem with the Air France crash is location and recovering evidence that could indicate a cause.

Only last week it was reported that they believe they have now pinned down the location of the flight recorders to a 5 sq Km area. click here

Even so they do not know if they can be recovered.

dagbladet 10:51 13 May 10

There's actually been over 60 serious TU-154 incidents of which 37 were complete losses involving fatalities. There are a myriad of reasons for these, including, crew error, terrorist or military action, mid air crashes, incorrect information from Air Traffic (both human and machine) and of course there will be some aircraft technical failings.

bremner 10:52 13 May 10

I took my figure of 28 from the BBC click here

dagbladet 11:00 13 May 10

We use this one (amongst others) when discussing Crew Resource Management and cognitive failure in aircrew training.

click here

birdface 11:01 13 May 10

That was the one on your click here.
The captain still denies responsibility and blames problems with the plane.
The whole program was worth watching.
I don't usually watch programs like that but was just changing channels and decided to watch it.
It was an accident that should never have happened and someone was obviously responsible.
It did say he picked the wrong runway and should have been using the other one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now