airfix collapses

silverous 23:24 31 Aug 06

The company, not a model.

Airfix has apparently collapsed and staff are being made redundant.

I'm willing to wager more than a few of you spent hours as a child (often badly) assembling these things.

I, For one, will miss them and I hope that there are other companies that will continue to suppply such things as I fear kids education and free time being mostly pc/screen-based in the future (if it isn't already)

rdave13 00:09 01 Sep 06

I built many Airfix models, mostly WW2 aircraft, in my childhood and took great care with the construction. The only thing, though, was I could never be bothered to paint them. So my collection were of an uniform silver-grey colour.

ade.h 00:17 01 Sep 06

I built a few, but I was more into Tamiya stuff, to be honest. I used to make a lot of racing car replicas and that sort of thing rather than military stuff. It is a shame though, because it's a great hobby; creative, skillful and rewarding. But it always had a geeky image that harmed its popularity.

wolfie3000 02:12 01 Sep 06

Awww shame airfix ar closing i used to build there model rally cars

click here

Sorry the pictures a bit rough it was taken by my webcam,

I think there are alot of kids today that still enjoy building there models.

sean-278262 02:28 01 Sep 06

Sign me up. 100s of models and only one ever got painted. Hangs in my room to this day! One of my better achievements in my childhood.

However Lego was more my thing!

Shame they have gone. Lets hope it wont be a rover affair then.

cyberping 08:19 01 Sep 06

I once worked for Areo-Fix in France as a Test Pilot.

martytoon 09:02 01 Sep 06

Used to spend hours building airfix models.Was not much of a painter so tended to stick to battleships where parts were already grey! Think the worst model I bought was the Appollo rocket - only had about 50 pieces and took about 30 mins to complete.

Stuartli 10:06 01 Sep 06

Probably because some people used the wrong glue..:-)

Seriously though most of us have probably built at least one Airfix model during our lifetime.

Noldi 10:54 01 Sep 06

I think the X-Box 360 etc have killed this off. Shame really I believe messing around with these as a kid started me off in my engineering career. Makes you wonder what kids playing computer games will become. I still assemble die cast models but wonder how long they will continue.

Noldi

1minute 11:45 01 Sep 06

Do remember building both concord & a harrier, but could never get to use just the right amount of glue or put the decals on to the planes properly.

Al94 11:59 01 Sep 06

So would it be worth buying up a few model kits now then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…