Air Purifiers & Asthma

Monoux 19:42 10 May 07

I have heard that if you suffer from Asthma it may be helpful to put an Air Purifier in the room expecially where you sleep. Does anyone have any experience of this and does it help ?

I have asked the Asthma nurse and the Pharmacist at my local doctors surgery but both say they do not know, which I find a bit surprising

mammak 20:18 10 May 07

Hi I am Asthmatic and although I could not be certain about the benefits of this I can not see it doing any harm! also I hoover mattresses soft furnishings at least once a week and launder my pillows the same this seems to have helped me over the years.

shizzy 21:29 10 May 07

I understand it helps to give beds, carpets, curtains etc. a blast from a steam cleaner. Helps the dust mite problem. Haven't got asthma but do steam clean.

mammak 21:40 10 May 07

Great bit of advice I also steam clean probably about once a month.

€dstowe 21:56 10 May 07

Not an asthma sufferer but I do find that an air ioniser seems to "clear" the air in a bedroom and makes for easier breathing. These devices are recommended for people with all sorts of breathing problems.

Lloyds pharmacies were selling "Beconase" promotion ionisers recently for £9.99.

Monoux 15:11 11 May 07

Thanks for the responses so far folks.

The comments about frequent and thorough hoovering and the Steam cleaning bits are very helpful.

I understand that ionisers can help and that they encourage particles in the air to 'bind together' which makes it easier for filters in air purifiers to trap these particles, hence cleaning the air.

I was hoping someone would be able to pass on their experience of actually using a purifier.

Anyone ?

spuds 16:33 11 May 07

I once tried out one of those small purifiers that were being advertised in the national press a couple of years ago,didn't notice much difference, but I find a container of water near to direct heat helps, if you are in a stuffy/dusty atmosphere.

€dstowe 16:59 11 May 07

The Beconase device I mentioned above has an air filter as well as an ioniser.

wee eddie 17:16 11 May 07

The first thing to find out is what causes it. There are so many different things that might set ones system off, that that must be your priority.

If your Asthma is Pollen based, then Vacuums with special Filters, Non Allergenic Bed Linen and Pillows, Net Curtains or similar are the routs you should be thinking of.

Possibly get rid of the pets. I guess that Goldfish are probably OK though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…