Air Passenger duty rises up to 112%

anchor 12:57 15 Jun 09

A little noticed item in Aprils budget.

click here

It already had been doubled in 2007, and is now set for a large rise in 2010. The CEO of BA stated, "air travel from the UK is the most heavily taxed in the world"

dagnammit 13:06 15 Jun 09

Most things are taxed more heavily here. If you can afford to fly you can afford the tax... if you have to fly out of necessity (work) then I'm sure your employer or customer will absorb the cost.

Colin 13:20 15 Jun 09

Just another government rip off tax. How can that help to cut carbon emmissions? It won't reduce air travel at all and it probably won't be used for what it's supposed to be used for just like road tax.

anchor 13:22 15 Jun 09

dagnammit: Forgive me, but that is a rather ridiculous statement.

Many of us save up for a family holiday abroad, and to be faced with this extra burden may be the last straw.

Tax, Tax and more tax seems to be this governments philosophy.

JanetO 13:49 15 Jun 09

I can forsee airlines losing even more passengers in their already difficult times. It's becomming more and more of a pain and expensive to travel by air, so more will stay in Blighty.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:38 15 Jun 09

You ain't seen nothing yet.

G

johndrew 16:58 15 Jun 09

It`s almost worth taking the Eurostar to Paris and picking up a flight there. Flights from many places in Europe are (or were) substantially cheaper than from UK airports.

Forum Editor 18:20 15 Jun 09

and as dagnammit has said, their customers/employers pick up the tab one way or another. I hardly feel that an APD of £80 on a trip to Singapore is going to cause much hardship for a business flyer.

The killer comes when you plan a trip to somewhere like that with your whole family - £320 APD for four people is certainly an item.

That said, air travel will become increasingly expensive, and there's not much anyone can do about it.

Bingalau 18:23 15 Jun 09

If we all refrain fron taking planes for a couple of years, would that not bring prices down then?

bluto1 19:32 15 Jun 09

Yes, Bingalau,it woould bring prices down. However it would also spell the end of business for a lot of smaller airlines, leaving the larger airlines to have a monopoly on air trade.
In consideration that might not be a bad thing, but I do like to see some competition in that business.

laurie53 20:00 15 Jun 09

"If you can afford to fly you can afford the tax..."

Exactly, and if you can afford a car you can afford the fuel duty and VAT, and the tax, and the insurance and the parking etc etc so let's have no more whingeing motorists!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009