Aga Cookers - what's the crack with them?

martjc 12:58 19 Nov 07

Just heard someone talking about Aga cookers. It was mentioned that they cannot be turned off. Why? What harm would it do? What do they burn? Simply curious!

wiz-king 13:12 19 Nov 07

Depends on the model but can burn oil/coke/gas/wood/coal and most rubbish as well. They also supply hot water for central heating which is why the don't get turned off. They are heavy, made of cast iron with sand as the insulator - not often found in blocks of flats!

martjc 13:18 19 Nov 07

...Do you leave your heating on in the blistering heat. Why should these things be impossible to turn off?

interzone55 13:30 19 Nov 07

They're not impossible to turn off, but the idea is that you leave them on so that the oven is always hot, they're perfect for baking bread for instance.

btw AGA's don't normally run the heating, Rayburn
ovens some with central heating boilers.

The best thing about an Aga though is in winter afetr coming in from a nice walk you can stick your on the oven door and warm yourself through.

Pine Man 13:33 19 Nov 07

I'm intrigued - what do you stick on the oven door?

hssutton 13:34 19 Nov 07

Yes the big problem with Aga's is the heat they throw out in summer, My sister uses one, but also has alternative cooking arrangements for summer, so the Aga gets turned off during the warmer months

martjc 13:41 19 Nov 07

...to get started once turned off? Any more comments?

oresome 13:43 19 Nov 07

I think the manufacturer is adept at selling a lifestyle image with the Aga.

Watch some of the Move to the Country programmes and many would be house purchasers will not consider one without at least the room to install an Aga and preferably one already in situ.

wee eddie 15:00 19 Nov 07

Also there's plenty of cooking to be done in summer, Jam making et cetera.

Starting an AGA is something of a Magnum Opus, and I would expect many to take more than 24 hours to reach working temperature.

As said before: It's a lifestyle thingy and if you have sheep, chicken or ducks it can be a lifesaver.

martjc 15:12 19 Nov 07

Closing the thread now. wee eddie, thanks for clearing it up. Good luck with your livestock!

Quickbeam 15:17 19 Nov 07

Some friends of mine bought an Aga for the above mentioned lifestyle reason. It's rarely used now since they soon after bought a gas range for the convenience of switching off and on quickly!

Agas are in effect a modern Victorian style range, you have to be in the house all day to tend the fire... or employ a ragged scullery skivvy to live in the kitchen :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…