Advice on festive charity work please.

smartpoly 14:27 03 Dec 08

Hi all, I intend to some volutary work this year during the Christmas break from work. Do any of you have experience of this sort of thing to help guide me as to what type of work I could do or who best to contact.

I am a 24 years old female in Birmingham.

I am thinking along the lines of visiting elderly, soup kitchen or helping the homeless.

I am open to any suggestions.

Woolwell 14:39 03 Dec 08

Most cities have a centre where you can get details about charity work. I don't come from Birmingham but I think that this is the one for that city click here. You can ask them.

Many of the charities that work with the homeless or have soup runs are christian based. In Birmingham this may help click here

Woolwell 14:40 03 Dec 08

By the way - good for you. Hope that it is successful and rewarding.

smartpoly 14:57 03 Dec 08

Thanks for the links, the Birmingham City mission looks good, should have googled a bit myself realy.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:58 03 Dec 08
  smartpoly 15:15 03 Dec 08

Has anybody actualy had experience of doing this sort of work?

What places might be best to avoid? Any hidden dangers etc?

Bingalau 15:24 03 Dec 08

smartpoly. I think it will give you an insight to a side of life you may not have seen before. I wouldn't try to avoid anything. Just commit yourself and you will enjoy it I think. Just knowing you are doing something useful is enough... I sometimes go out with our Padre over the Christmas period looking for down and outs... I'm not religious but together we make a little difference. I may not do it this year though as I need to be in the mood...

€dstowe 16:07 03 Dec 08

Try the Church or The Sally Ann. There's always plenty of opportunities to help the disadvantaged and the elderly.

No need to be the least bit religious, just willing to lend a hand.

Gud on yer!

Cymro. 16:22 03 Dec 08

Very good for you I can`t congratulate you enough.
As for what to do, I would think some of the smaller local charities are better as I have a bit of a dislike for some of the very big charities as I think of them being rather too big and distant perhaps.
I hope very much that you will enjoy your experience and I am sure you will get a lot out of it yourself.

Blackhat 22:32 03 Dec 08

As Cymro said, you will get a lot out of it yourself.

Some years ago I used to be a Christian youth club leader and I used to take my teenage crew to local rest homes and lay on some light entertainment between Christmas and New Year.

After presenting a little show we would mingle and chat with the residents for a while, we always came across fascinating characters with amazing life stories, they were always very glad of the company and the youngsters enjoyed themselves too. It works both ways.

Good to hear someone is making the effort to think of others less fortunate, I wish you the best.

laurie53 09:18 04 Dec 08

I'd go to the Sally Ann, only because they've been there for me a couple of times so I think they're worth helping.

No questions, no nothing, just hand when you need it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…