Advertising within Games

techie4me 13:30 26 Sep 07

Is the article written on this Mondays Guardian the same Kate Bevan(Kate B) that is on this forum?

Al94 14:05 26 Sep 07

It is - haven't noticed her here for a while

Riojaa 14:10 26 Sep 07

More spam?

Earthsea 15:32 26 Sep 07

In Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory there's blatant advertising for a certain product. First time I've noticed this in a game, but I don't play games that often. It's a bit irritating, like most advertising, but inevitable due to the huge popularity in gaming. I see no harm in it, and the increased revenue for the games developer will (hopefully) mean better games.

wolfie3000 16:20 26 Sep 07

Theres alot of debate about this,
Second life has alot of adverts in it and i expect new games will put them in soon too.

A link to the article in question would be nice.

I guess its like everything, if theres an opportunity to place an ad people will take it.

Belatucadrus 17:29 26 Sep 07

I seem to remember reading that some games were guilty like the movies of fairly blatant product placement in the background, but I can't think of any specific examples at the moment.

wolfie3000 17:52 26 Sep 07

Who remembers Zool & Chupa Chups?
Talk about blatant product placement.

click here

Forum Editor 18:02 26 Sep 07

so what's wrong with seeing them in films/TV programmes and games? As long as the placement isn't intrusive it's simply a product, or a name being displayed in a lifelike setting - or in the case of games in a setting that often bears little resemblance to real-life.

I don't really have a problem with it.

wolfie3000 18:09 26 Sep 07

I agree FE as long as it didn't distract from the game play,

I can see it now i would be carefully aiming at the enemy through my sniper rifle just about to take the shot then BAM a huge flashing advert for cola appears making me totally miss the shot. :(

wolfie3000 18:17 26 Sep 07

Another product placement,

click here

Si_L 18:43 26 Sep 07

Games such as PES and FIFA (both football sims) use advertising on their boards, which not only makes the game better as it gives increased revenue to Konami and EA respectively, so they can improve the games, but it makes the game look more realistic:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…