ABS Braking System

Bingalau 20:23 30 Jan 07

I've just been in touch with my garage because my brakes are playing up. I was getting a juddering feeling through the brake pedal, guessed immediately that it must be the ABS system. A friend in the business confirmed this and said that one of the sensors has given up the ghost. He said the only cure is to get in touch with the garage that deals with my model "Daewoo Leganza" and that they will have to put it on to their computer to find which sensor is kaput. The garage informs me that it will cost me £37.50 plus VAT to put it on the computer for the test. (Sounds like a rip off to me) Then they can only guess at the cost of replacing the duff part. their guess is approximately £165.00 plus VAT, of course. I work that out at £237.95. Boy am I glad I don't own a Beamer or a Merc.? Does anybody know a cheaper way of getting it done? It seems different vehicles use different computer systems for finding faults. I've got a feeling the fault is already recorded somewhere in the bowels of the engine. ..Bingalau..

Forum Editor 20:28 30 Jan 07

isn't exactly a fortune to pay for accurate information about something that might affect your safety is it? Why do you think it's a 'rip-off'?

Fred the flour grader 20:37 30 Jan 07

find the abs sensor and clean it with an old tooth brush as it may be clogged up with dirt,road salt etc. This worked for a friend of mine on his Renault Scenic, saved him £200, hope it works for you, Bingalau.
regards,
Fred.

Totally-braindead 20:42 30 Jan 07

Bingalau I'm afraid its a fact of life now that cars are getting more and more complicated. A friend of mine has a garage, small one with 5 mechanics. With all the high tech modules in a car when one fails they have to take the car to the makers garage. The reason is when a module fails there is no way to tell which module it is that has failed. Some can cost £50, some can cost £500. You might be able to cut it down to say 3 items out of 6 possabilities but you cannot afford to replace all three therefore its cheaper to take it to the ones that have the machine.
The machines are all different by the way. A garage can spend £5000 on a diagnostic machine that can only do one make. Therefore to do all the makes they would need perhaps 20 or 30 machines. Plus as new models come out every year the software must change so you have to pay for the updates as well.
If it costs £5000 for one machine and you charge £50 for its use you need to do 100 tests before you break even. Thats 2 a week. And a garage that basically does them all cannot afford this sort of outlay, and thats just for one make.
Thats why they take it to the main garage that does the cars and thats why they charge so much.
If theres anyone overcharging its either the car manufacturers who make it so complicated that the only way you can tell is by using a dedicated computer or its the companies who create the machines to tell you whats wrong.
All this could be simply solved if the car manufacturers were forced to include some sort of visual display of what unit had failed. Say a box with 30 LEDS in it, one for each module. You see which one is out and replace that module, problem solved.
But it'll never happen.

Bingalau 20:43 30 Jan 07

FE. It seems a lot to me just to read from one computer to the other. But I agree I am going to have to bite the bullet for safety's sake, and pay up. Maybe the expression "Rip-Off" is wrong but it seems a lot of money to me. It is a lot of money to me! I wonder do they check up on the other sensors at the same time? I would hate to have to keep going back every time I get a feeling in my brake pedal. After all I assume there are another three sensors. ..Bingalau..

Bingalau 20:49 30 Jan 07

Fred the flour grader. I wouldn't know where to begin looking for the sensor to clean it, but I will keep your suggestion in mind. To Totally-braindead. for the advice given. Many thanks. ..Bingalau..

Forum Editor 20:55 30 Jan 07

my son was driving to work along a winding country lane. It was 6:30, and dark. He rounded a bend and suddenly the car was spinning on mud. He braked and the ABS kicked in and slowed him, but he was confused and it was too late to stop the car mounting the grass bank. It ended up on the roof with him hanging upside down.

The car is a write-off, but my son hasn't a scratch - good brakes may have saved him from something much worse.

Ho-Lin-Sok 21:02 30 Jan 07

Brake judder can also be caused by warped discs or distorted drums on cars that have them.

Bingalau 21:03 30 Jan 07

FE. I'm glad he's o.k., after all a car is only so much metal and plastic. Sons are hard to come by, especially good ones. ..Bingalau..

Bingalau 21:06 30 Jan 07

Ho-Lin-Sok. That would have been easier to handle too but it happens it does not have drum brakes. Shame! ..Bingalau..

interzone55 21:09 30 Jan 07

You're not just paying for the test, you're paying for the mechanics time & that ain't cheap I'm afraid.

Plus, seeing as these computer testing rigs cost a fortunethey have to recoup that investment back some how.

I had a Daewoo Kalos & the engine management light kept lighting up, the garage changed all sorts of things under warranty, except the part that was actually faulty - the engine managemnt system itself - that was a £500 part & they didn't want to swap it out. More fool them, I took them to court & they were forced to pay me back everything I'd spent on the car - deposit, monthly payments, court fees etc & they were left with a car that had to be scrapped because the engine was knackered from being run with a faulty EMS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…