'about:blank' ~ a note to Chris Byers

wee eddie 11:19 03 Jan 11

relating to his "Expert Computing Advice" in the Feb Issue of PCA.

I had this problem, on occasion, and as I had a System that is normally bug free, I considered other possibilities.

I think that you may have jumped to your conclusion a little too swiftly and may have recommended something which may not solve the problem. Of course, I may be wrong and you right, so here is my reading of the problem and why it occurs.

These 'about:blank' Screens first started opening with when I clicked on Links, within Chat-rooms, to lesser known Web Sites. I think that this shortly after I first enabled my Anti Viruses new Link Scanner and also when the Web was particularly busy or my Connection particularly slow.

Sometimes IE appeared to hang, for an appreciable period of time, before it opened the relevant page. Very frustrating when I had been used to almost instantaneous access, well, as instantaneous an a 2Mbp Connection can be.

I thought about it, ran my usual set of Tools. Spybot, Malwarebytes, CCleaner & MMSRT, nothing unusual to report from any of them. Then I changed my AV to one without a Link Scanner. The 'about:blank' Problem no longer occurred but I didn't particularly like the new AV.

I have returned to AVG, with it's Link Scanner, accepting that when my Web Link is slow, it will take an appreciable amount of time to search it's Database in order to OK the Web Site that I am about to visit.

Chris B. ~ How does that scenario seem to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…