That about sums it up to a T--------iVue

norman47 21:48 16 Jul 04

The mag dropped on the mat this morning, minus the cover c\d, no big deal as I don't usually use them. So don't bother posting me one F.E.

I had some free time this evening, so sat down to a good read. Our beloved F.E.had an interview with Gary E Brant, CEO of varitouch. They would like us to download music and I think films to their box. Only our finger print or iris match would allow access. F.E. asked if iVue's approach would work.

I don't want to spoil it to much for those who have not seen it yet.but he said they have had two years consultation with

a)various music labels

b)Hollywood film studios

d)motion picture association of America

e) consumers.

Now one of the above is false. Can any one guess which one?

gudgulf 22:53 16 Jul 04

WOW,that's a hard I'll admit it,you've got me there!!!

If this goes ahead I wonder what will get the blame for plummeting sales this time?????

Chegs ® 23:13 16 Jul 04

I need to bookmark this page,or thinking of the correct answer will keep me awake all night.

norman47 23:46 16 Jul 04

What no guesses, perhaps a prize could be offered for the first correct answer.

A used biro from PCA towers?

I think the article it self was worth the £3.50 retail for the mag. Although I do get it ( the mag )at a discounted rate.

Seriously we spend about £100- £150 a month on music and DVD films. I like tangible goods for my money. I want to make a back up of my c\d's for the car, I want my favourite tunes on the ipod. I want to take my films to the sitting room or the bedroom or my mates house.

What I do not want is a device that may break down and loose everything. A device that needs me present to activate it. A device I can not let others use, family or friends.

I think I will stick with buying my music c\d's and dvd's from retailers. This is what I want and what I pay for.

JYPX 23:56 16 Jul 04

norman47, I am jealous that you have the new magazine when I have just made a SPECIAL TRIP to the co-op only to find that it's not out yet. Looks like I will have to think about a subscription. I reckon PCA and Viz are the 2 best mags around.....

norman47 00:09 17 Jul 04

Yes the only computer mag I subscribe to.

Save yourself a few bob (old money) and get the mag delivered. £11 some thing for 6 months and £22 something for a year. That's less than £2 a mag.

This means you can spend more time on the net than going down to the shops to look for the mag.:-)

The savings could go towards your vis mag.

Forum Editor 00:22 17 Jul 04

the chance to test the iVue when it's launched in November. If the promise is kept I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure that the device itself will work very well, but as I said in the article - it would have been a good idea to ask consumers what they thought of the concept before proceeding with its development.

Wak 10:37 17 Jul 04

Shame on you, FE. You've just given away the answer to Norman47's question!

Dorsai 12:03 17 Jul 04

Well, it was pretty obvious who hadn't been asked wasn't it. Come on, be honest, do you really think they would have asked the consumer.

Like DVD region encodeing. If the consumer had been asked about this idea, the vote would probably have been

5% dunno

5% don't care

90% not a good idea.

But they did not ask!

norman47 15:53 17 Jul 04

Looks like the F.E. has a used biro from PCA towers. :-(

Will tick now.

Forum Editor 16:19 17 Jul 04

I expect I'll be in hot water with the manufacturers of iVue for what I wrote. I know they have high expectations for their product, and in truth it does look very good indeed, but I fail to see how anything can succeed that doesn't allow you to move your files to another location. That's the basic flaw in iVue, and of course it's been a deliberate design act - the makers don't want you to move the files. Moving means copying, and copying means copyright infringment, and we all know that's illegal. We go around and around, and still the music companies fail to see what to me is the blindingly obvious - that they must come up with a whole new take on this digital music issue. It's no good spending time and money on new and complex methods to lock the consumer into a box. Consumers don't like it, and they won't accept it - which means that (in my personal opinion) they won't form an orderly queue to buy iVues at £300 a time, or whatever they will sell for.

I could so easily be wrong, and this time next year we could be awash with iVues. If we are I'll eat humble pie in large amounts, and it will be a pleasure to do so. Ivue is innovative and a design marvel - that so much can be crammed into such a neat device is remarkable - and I really look forward to trying one for myself. I don't see the device as a failure, it's the concept which troubles me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…